We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Question re: Cog Railway

NJ
Level Contributor
105 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Question re: Cog Railway

Can anyone tell me if they have had experienced any trouble breathing due to thinning of air when they ride the Cog Railway to the top of Mt. Washington? I have a bit of asthma and I heard that it gets more difficult to breath when you go up in the mountains. Thanks, all.

Mentioned in this post
Mount Washington
Mount Washington
White Mountains, NH
scituate, ma
Level Contributor
421 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Question re: Cog Railway

At just over 6,00 feet, Mt. Washington generally doesn't create any serious issues with thinning air, but you may notice it. My husband says I'm the only person he knows who get altitude sickness at 2,000 feet.

If anything, the air is so clean it feels like your getting an extra dose of oxygen,

You may find the smoke from the cog railway engines irritating for your respiration. These are coal fired, and do put out some thick black smoke. When you're underway, the smoke streams thankfully behind, but it is noticeable at the station. More so at the base, the summit is almost always windy. You may want to consider a mask for this stage of the trip.

It's a fascinating ride to the the top. The staff are full of wonderful tales and interesting history, and theview outstanding.

Hope you enjoy your trip!

Mentioned in this post
Mount Washington
Mount Washington
White Mountains, NH
Get answers to your questions about North Conway