We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

New year skiing in North Conway

Which North Conway hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Dundalk, Ireland
Level Contributor
86 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
New year skiing in North Conway

Hi,

We are a family of 4 (2 teenageers boy and girl) who have never skied before. We are thinking about going to North Conway, flight arrives in Boston 16.30 New Years Eve. Can you help us please:

1. How long realistically will it take to reach North Conway, given traffic, weather conditions etc.?

2. Are you guaranted snow at this time of year?

3. What do we do about hiring equipment, could snow suits be included in this?

3. Thinking of getting private lessons in Cranmore, how much would this be likely to cost?

Any help and advice you could give us would be greatly appreciated.

AnneP.

Baltimore, Maryland
Destination Expert
for North Conway
Level Contributor
12,069 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: New year skiing in North Conway

Hi Neighbor (unless you are in Dundalk, England)

1. Boston is 2 1/2 hours to N. Conway in good weather. Haven't seen the New Year's Eve forecast yet but it could be longer considering that it will be dark. Notwithstanding all you may have heard there is not always snow in Boston but the weather can change as you drive north

2. No. There will be some natural and some manmade. It can rain still that week. It just depends. I have skiied almost every Xmas week for 30 years and have seen everything from 1/2 of a mountain open to 100%.

The amount open should not make a difference for beginners.

3. ski clothes are not included. boots, skis, poles. Helmets are a necessity and will not be included. If you are local to me, send me a PM and I can direct you to a great used ski equipment sale. I don't know the cost of lessons. You should call. Also, since that is a busy week you may want to consider making them in advance. Otherwise, your teenagers may find themselves with 5 yr olds in their class.

You will have a great time. Mt Washingtom Valley is a wonderful place.

North Conway NH
Level Contributor
27 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: New year skiing in North Conway

Greetings,

As one who lives in the area let me attempt to answer your questions.

1) On New Years eve, just escaping the Boston traffic at that time of night, good luck, Boston has a huge first night celebration, and the traffic will be nuts, I would allow 3.5 to 4 Hours to North Conway, and if the weather is inclement, longer. Basically this is not a drive I would recommend at that time of night in the winter unless you know the roads, and are adept at winter driving for even if you leave Boston in fair weather, by the time you get to North Conway, it could be a blizzard. My advice is stay in Boston for the night, enjoy the fireworks and their First Night Celebration, get a good nights sleep, then venture north in the light of day when you are well rested and can appreciate the views.

2) Of course not, especially here in the mountians mother nature can and will do as she pleases, however the mountains should have snow, either manmade or natural for your skiing pleasure.

3) The only places that I know of in the area who rent snowsuits and similar winter clothing are the snowmobile rental places, but they come with the rental of the snowmobiles, so this would probably not be of much use to you, although this is an alternative activity you may want to consider for your time in the valley as it affords those who partake of it an excellent way to see some remote vistas within the valley.

4) Check thier website www.cranmore.com very soon they should be posting their winter schedule and rates, or drop them an email now and I am sure they will be very willing to quote you prices now.

Hope this helps in your travel planning!

Dundalk, Ireland
Level Contributor
86 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: New year skiing in North Conway

Hi guys,

Thanks a million for your prompt replies, this is exactly the information I needed. I think we will stay in Boston New Years Eve and travel up the next day. We're coming from Dundalk Ireland so we would be fairly tired to attempt the journey in one go. Just one final question, the teenagers want to know if there are any stores selling Abercrombie and Fitch or Hollister clothes?(typical teenagers)!

Lincoln, NH
Level Contributor
2,376 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: New year skiing in North Conway

Good call on staying in Boston on New Year's Eve -- in addition to the possible bad driving conditions, there are too many drunks on the road that night. First Night is a huge city-wide festival that your family will certainly enjoy -- but it is very popular -- I'd look for that hotel room right away.

North Conway NH
Level Contributor
27 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: New year skiing in North Conway

Depending on how many days you have for your vacation, you may wish to spend 2 nights in Boston as it is a wonderfull city, with much to do that I think the teenagers would appreciate especially such attractions as Fanuiel Hall,(great shopping and an indoor market place) The New England Aquarium and the Museum of Science. This would also give you a little more time to get accustomed to the time zone. When you do decide to drive north though, be sure to rent something with four wheel drive as here in the mountains in winter, it can definitely make driving a bit easier.

Dundalk, Ireland
Level Contributor
86 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: New year skiing in North Conway

We did think about spending 2 nights in Boston especially as Fanuiel Hall is so close to the hotel we were planning to stay in (Jurys). We decided against this as we just assumed that all of the shops would be closed on New Years Day like at home. Will they be open? The four wheel drive is also a very good idea. We did wonder about that.

North Conway NH
Level Contributor
27 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: New year skiing in North Conway

Welcome to America where the dollar is king, everything in Boston and most of the US will be open on New Years day.

Central Maine
Destination Expert
for Maine
Level Contributor
6,667 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: New year skiing in North Conway

Once you get to the Cranmore area, if you get homesick, you may want to check out a North Conway Restaurant called Mae Kelly's Irish Pub....it's on Rt 16 just north of the built-up village area. They opened about four years ago when the owner immigrated here from Ireland! Given that no place on the road ever tastes exactly like home, this may or may not be a reasonable facsimile.... All I can tell you is that it's become a must-visit during our couple-of-times-a-year visits to the North Conway area. Lots of lamb-based recipes, good Guiness, and great hospitality. A great place for a hearty, warm meal after a day in the snow. Enjoy your visit!!

New Milford...
Level Contributor
6 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: New year skiing in North Conway

1) plan on 3 hours to get to North Conway from Logan. Weather can be very tricky and you should plan on it being a bit icy. You may want to stay in Boston or Portsmouth on New Years and then go to NC in the morning. You will be driving completely in the dark

2) All mountains make snow. Unless global warming really kicks in there will be snow. You might not have a ton of it off the mountain. Every year is different. Also, you may not see snow until you get close to the White Mountains. Last year, we were buried all the way to the Southern part of the state but each year is a bit different.

3) You can rent equipement each day from the mountain or from local shops. I am not sure about attire. Honestly, I would ask friends and ship a box to your hotel with mittens/hats/sweaters. EMS Sports is headquartered and has a huge facility in North Conway. I would reach out and ask if they rent such items.

3) Cranmore is the perfect mountain to learn to ski on. They also have a tubing (sledding) park that is a ton of fun to do one day. You might try to do one day of privates and then do group lessons another days. The kids also might enjoy snowboarding as well. I am sure that information is available on Cranmore's site.

4) If you are coming from overseas, the shopping in North Conway is fabulous with the outlets. Bring empty suitcases or be prepared to ship a box home!

N Dartmouth MA
Level Contributor
1,805 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: New year skiing in North Conway

We ski in N Conway every year. Beautiful area. Do you plan on skiing every year? If so then I would invest in a good pair of ski pants & warm jacket. If you only plan to try it out this year you could buy waterproof or nylon athlethic pants and put them over jeans or whatever pants you have. A good pair of ski pants will run you at least 100.00. You'll probably fall a lot so something waterproof would work. The worst thing is getting wet.

I always wear a helmet but you don't have to. A good warm hat is a must. If you want to rent a helmet it usually costs about 8.00 to 10.00 a day. At Cranmore you can get a package with lessons and equipment. I wouldn't even think about buying used equipment. Do plan early. That is a busy time of year. You can also visit this website.

www.skinh.com

Have a great time!

Get answers to your questions about North Conway