We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Christmas in North Conway

Derry, United...
7 posts
Save Topic
Christmas in North Conway

Has anyone been in NC for Christmas. We are coming from Ireland and staying at the Grand Hotel but don't know if we need to book for dinner at the hotel on Christmas Day. Are restaurants open as normal?

Any other tips would be appreciated.

Westerville, Ohio
Level Contributor
1,689 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Christmas in North Conway

Hey Macker,

Not sure about restaurants hours on Christmas but we'll call around for you. Someone up in N C will probably answer you as well. In the meantime thought you might enjoy this bit of info from Delaneys Hole in the Wall restaurant.

Once upon a time...

...in the west - West Dublin that is - a young Irishman named Shamus Delaney was at a crucial juncture in his life. Accused of horse thieving, "Delaney" decided to bring his talents to America rather than face a jury of his peers. Arriving in Boston in 1849, he caught a dose of Gold Rush Fever, packed his belongings and headed west.

Panning for gold eventually led Delaney to more permanent employment, panning as a "chef de la chuckwagon." His culinary feats renowned, he was hired by Butch Cassidy and The Hole in the Wall gang in the summer of 1889. As their waistlines expanded, the gang's exploits slowed and they blamed Delaney and his secret recipies for slowing down their escapes. As the Pinkerton Detective Agency closed in on the Hole in the Wall gang, Butch headed south, the gang dispersed and Delaney headed east. Arriving back in Boston, he married a nice Italian girl and started a family tradition of good home cooked meals.

Delaney's "chef de la chuckwagon" journal of secret recipies is the inspiration for our new menu. We hope you enjoy Delaney's Hole in the Wall Restaurtant and Tavern along with over 100 years of culinary experience. I know this is hard to believe, but that's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Plenty of good places to eat and hope you have a great snowy time

Westerville, Ohio
Level Contributor
1,689 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Christmas in North Conway

Mack,

I spoke with the chamber of commerce and the lady said many places are closed for food. She also said that the N C Grand will not have food??????? Nedd to check on that. White mountain Hotel has a Xmas brunch as does Red Jacket and the Wentworth which is in Jackson just north of Conway. She is starting to work on a list and should have it by next week of places open so if you want I will get it for you. Let me know> you can PM me.

Dave

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
67 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Christmas in North Conway

Hello, you might want to try Stonehurst Manor for dinner. Its dining room will almost certainly be open, as it provides dinner to guests staying in the lodge. We have eaten there many times and enjoyed it quite a bit; there are numerous dinner entrees and wood-fired pizzas. Reservations would be highly recommended.

North Conway in the winter does tend to be relatively quiet, and some restaurants will be closed.

Dubai, United Arab...
Level Contributor
2,310 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Christmas in North Conway

Would seriously recommend Delaney's Hole in the Wall - great food and good fun. We also liked Horsefeathers - however, I am going back a few years so I may be a little out of date.

Have fun - shopping should be good!

Ireland
Level Contributor
2 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Christmas in North Conway

Macker,

This is our third year in a row to be in NC for XMas travelling from Ireland.

Most places are closed. You will need to check with your hotel and see if they do something. The Red jacket does XMas lunch so you could try them as well. Is is OK but this year we are staying in. Also this is a very busy time of year for them so I suggest you book something sooner rather then later. Delaneys is good but I do not know if they are open on Xmas day.

Good luck.

VWH
White Mountains of...
Level Contributor
18 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Christmas in North Conway

The White Mountain Hotel has a wonderful restaurant and it will be open.

If the roads aren't snowy and you want to drive through the notches to see the mountain scenery, you might want to visit the Mount Washington Hotel. It is one of our grand old hotels, reopened and restored 20 years ago. It is a destination resort with Bretton Woods ski area and will certainly be open.

There is an Irish restaurant called May Kelly's, right next to Delaney's and it has great shepherd's pie, corned beef and cabbage and entertainment. Not sure if it's open though.

If you want to try seafood when you are in town, try Jonathan's in Conway. It doesn't look like much from the outside but they have great seafood - try the lobster roll.

Peak District...
Level Contributor
6 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Christmas in North Conway

Hi,

We spent last Christmas at this hotel and booked for Christmas dinner as we were also uncertain if restaurants would be open. We liked the hotel/location/breakfasts and are staying here again this Christmas but we will not be eating any evening meals in the Hotel especially not Christmas dinner,we felt that the quality of the food/service & ambience was much better in the North Conway restaurants. The hotel reception is nicely decorated for Christmas but the dining room lacks any atmosphere for evening meals. Breakfasts are good though as was the service. Will be interested to hear where other people suggest for Christmas day.

8. Re: Christmas in North Conway

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:18 am, March 07, 2010
Get answers to your questions about North Conway