We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Avoid Conway and North Conway- Extreme Traffic Congestion

Sacramento, CA
Level Contributor
27 posts
180 reviews
Save Topic
Avoid Conway and North Conway- Extreme Traffic Congestion

We had the misfortune of having to travel through Conway and North Conway last weekend. It took us almost 2 hours, to get through the few miles of highway 16 which goes through these towns. The towns have done nothing to mitigate traffic congestion. On the return trip, it took well over 90 minutes.

I have no idea what the traffic is like on weekdays, but I sure would avoid these towns during tourist seasons of summer and fall.

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
1,484 posts
372 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Avoid Conway and North Conway- Extreme Traffic Congestion

The locals know where the back road is that allows you to bypass the traffic.

Concord, New...
Level Contributor
467 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Avoid Conway and North Conway- Extreme Traffic Congestion

To be fair to North Conway, unless you go on one of the backroads (a local map can help you here). You will get stuck going down the main drag. There are too many tourists crossing the street downtown. There really isn't anything the town could do about it. If they widen the road you would just be sitting in 4 lanes of traffic for the same amount of time. Also this is peak season for the leaves up there and there are thousands of people going through a tiny area. Surprised to see someone from California complaining about our traffic though.

Sacramento, CA
Level Contributor
27 posts
180 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Avoid Conway and North Conway- Extreme Traffic Congestion

I don't believe there is one small town in California where it would take 2 hours to go through it. The traffic situation in Conway and North Conway appears to be the result of irresponsible development- development which took place without any improvement to the infrastructure which serves it. Many people traveling on highway 16 are not interested in visiting either of these two towns but become hostages. The simple solution would have been - and still is- to build a bypass around the towns. It is irresponsible for local government to allow a situation like this to exist. And as highway 16 is a state highway, the state government bears much of the responsibility as well.

New England
Level Contributor
348 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Avoid Conway and North Conway- Extreme Traffic Congestion

Not to worry! Most of the stores/outlets/good businesses along Rt16 in North Conway are not what they used to be. Traffic there should really nose dive in the next year or so. The locals/NewEnglanders traveling this road in the past year have well noticed that the area is going way downhill. We used to stay at Nordic Village every year from 1992 on. The prices are now thru the roof! And the mid mountain area condo's some are in need of a serious remodeling. Restaurants and businesses are closing and you will notice many many For Lease signs in the windows. There used to be soooo many favorite places to go and it really was a destination for us. We are sad to see it happening. Just an opinion.

Westerville, Ohio
Level Contributor
1,689 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Avoid Conway and North Conway- Extreme Traffic Congestion

if you were just passing through, you could have easily taken the north-south or west side roads and by-passed most of the traffic.

Barre, Massachusetts
Level Contributor
144 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Avoid Conway and North Conway- Extreme Traffic Congestion

I agree with the previous post. The traffic is not an issue if you know where the bypass roads are.

N Dartmouth MA
Level Contributor
1,815 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Avoid Conway and North Conway- Extreme Traffic Congestion

I also agree with the previous two posts. There are two other roads to bypass the traffic. I guess they want to keep it a secret so you will pass the stores and restaurants. I am also sad that this special place in New Hampshire is going down. We always stayed at the Green Granite and Nordic Village. Now, you read the posts and all they seem to say is how dirty and run down these places are. I am still going to N Conway for February school vacation. We love to ski and they have some great mountains. Staying at a condo that I booked on vrbo.com. Let's hope the predictions for a mild winter don't last well into ski season.

connecticut
Level Contributor
35 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Avoid Conway and North Conway- Extreme Traffic Congestion

the worst traffic weekend of the year in north conway is columbus day weekend(the weekend you were there) I have been there many times and it is always bad that weekend, but usually quite "smooth sailing" the rest of the year

connecticut
Level Contributor
35 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Avoid Conway and North Conway- Extreme Traffic Congestion

there are 3 ways around the traffic in north conway and conway, 2 that will take you north to glen and bartlett, and one that will take you east to fryeburg. a simple read of a map would have pointed these out to you.

Toronto, Ontario
Level Contributor
224 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Avoid Conway and North Conway- Extreme Traffic Congestion

Although traffic can be slow during peak weekends - it is not that bad. We have visited North Conway well over a half a dozen times, for a week per visit, and we have never had any problems.

The only part I would add is if you take the look (bypass?... backroad? whatever you want to call it) around North Conway (it runs parellel to Hwy 16 - but on the east side of town - behind all of the hotels/outlet malls/etc) be sure to watch the speed limit. I was pulled over for speeding - and I see cops on this wide open stretch all of the time. I guess they hang out there to fill their quotas, since you really can't speed too much on the main drag (Hwy 16).

It is faster to take this loop - unless you want to see the shops.

Get answers to your questions about North Conway