We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Things to do in July with 2 teenage girls?

London, United...
3 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Things to do in July with 2 teenage girls?

My husband's work is taking him to Nashua during the month of July. We're thinking of visiting him for a couple of weeks, is there anything that would keep our 2 daughter 13 & 14 occupied? They're into watersports, shopping and of course, gadgets such as ipods. I don't want them to spend all their time shopping!

13 replies to this topic
Baltimore, Maryland
Destination Expert
for North Conway
Level Contributor
12,223 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Things to do in July with 2 teenage girls?

lots of watersports in the lakes region. zip lines in Lincoln and Bretton Woods. There are summer stock shows, hiking, climbing, probably some concerts.

I am most familiar with the Mt Washington area and here is a list of things to do.

tripadvisor.com/GoListDetail-i19621-Circling…

Also, very close to Boston, Rockport, Lexington/Concord or even Stowe, Woodstock and other Vt attractions. If the girls aren't entertained, it won't be the areas fault. check out visitnh.gov which has a calendar of things to do and events.

Lincoln, NH
Level Contributor
2,713 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Things to do in July with 2 teenage girls?

Nashua itself may not do the job for your girls -- it's essentially a Boston suburb. But go north and as Neslaw said, there is plenty to do. Boston would also be a big draw for teenagers.

So, toss out some ideas of what you'd like to do -- mountains, beaches, history etc, to help narrow the focus...

LMM

London, United...
3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Things to do in July with 2 teenage girls?

Thanks for the comments so far! I'd heard there wasn't a lot to do in Nashua hence my concern. Sounds like I'll be renting a car... As for what to do, I suspect one or two days enjoying the sun, some hiking, sailing if possible, perhaps even camping during the weekend we're across. Is there anywhere that would give you a flavour of the history, so we could investigate more if we wanted/had the time to do? Also is there anywhere you'd suggest for eating for a "cool" experience? I have said I'm not eating at burger joints every night! Any advice would be great thanks for your help already

Hollis, New...
Level Contributor
4,673 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Things to do in July with 2 teenage girls?

I think it's a bit unfair to categorize Nashua as a Boston suburb. It's actually a nice city that, for whatever it's worth (and I don't claim it's worth much) was twice recognized by Money Magazine as America's best place to live. It has a pleasant, vibrant downtown (though struggling with the recession like everywhere else). There's an excellent professional symphony orchestra, lots of local theater for adults and kids, a great library, and plenty of good dining and shopping. Although none of this is likely to make the town an instant hit with teenage girls, there's hope.

Here's an interesting fact, if irrelevant to the OP: Modern professional baseball in the United States was first integrated in Nashua. Hall of Famer Roy Campanella and several other early African American stars played for the Dodgers' minor league team there (and by all accounts considered it a very positive experience).

I'm not sure what you would consider a "cool" eating experience. Martha's Exchange is a brewery/restaurant/candy shop that I really enjoy, right in the heart of downtown. A Japanese restaurant on the western edge of town offers the "watch the chef stir-fry your meal" experience. Nashua Garden, also downtown, has great sandwiches in a sports bar atmosphere. And there's a range of other restaurants, from non-chain pizza parlors and cafes to higher-end places.

When you're here, look for the free weekly "The Hippo," which is an excellent guide to goings-on in Nashua and Manchester. You could also try www.hippopress.com, but the site doesn't seem to be responding. I hope this doesn't mean that The Hippo has ceased operation, because it has been a surprisingly well-written and substantial local journal.

Anyway, yes, you'll want a car, and there are lots of attractions within easy striking distance. I highly recommend visiting the Lakes Region, the White Mountains, Portsmouth and the seacoast, Salem and Cape Ann, Massachusetts, and, of course, Boston. And take a day trip to Walpole, New Hampshire, to see a classically beautiful New England town (in the beautiful Maonadnock Region) featuring L.A. Burdick's, which has an excellent cafe/brasserie and makes the best chocolate you will ever eat.

Hollis, New...
Level Contributor
4,673 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Things to do in July with 2 teenage girls?

With regard to The Hippo, I did manage to find this electronic version of the current issue: http://www.e-pages.dk/thehippo/84/. I don't know what's going on with the Web site.

Boston, MA
Level Contributor
4,938 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Things to do in July with 2 teenage girls?

One "cool" thing to do in Nashua is to indoor skydive!

http://www.skyventurenh.com/index.php

Nashua is a great location for touring. You are close enough to many places in New Hampshire, Masschusetts, Maine and Rhode Island. The Pheasant Lane Mall will keep your girls happy for a day of tax free shopping. Tehre are many great restaurants in Nashua, too. Go to a minor league baseball game in Nashua, Manchester or Lowell, MA There will be plenty to do, if you have a car. Just to name a few place that you can drive in less than 1 or 2 hours includes....

~Concord, MA's Walden Pond and Shopping at Concord's Center

~Salem, NH's Rockingham Mall and Canobie Lake Parks Amusement Park

~Climb MT Monadnock- one of the most frequently climbed mountains in the world

~Portsmouth, NH' Water Country and Shopping at Portsmouth

~Hampton Beach, NH is the place for teens

~Ogunquit, NH my favorite beach in the area

~Rockport and Gloucester, MA

~Ipswich, MA Crane's Beach

~Salem, MA

~Boston, MA - many places to shop and many museums to entertain the family.

~Meredith, NH's Lake Winnipesaukee take a boat ride on the M/V MT Washington

~North Conway, NH - Did I mention shopping? Visit Diane's Baths, hiking, drive up MT Washington

~Franconia, NH Go to The Flume and The Basin

~Newport, RI walk the Cliff Walk visit the Mansions, take a boat ride

These are just a few examples of the many places that you can visit while you are staying in Nashua.

Enjoy!

North Shore, MA
Destination Expert
for Salem
Level Contributor
5,763 posts
181 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Things to do in July with 2 teenage girls?

Let me correct one small typo in Remay's great list: Ogunquit is in Maine, not NH (though I'm sure NH would be happy to claim it!).

Since you mention some interest in history, I'll add Minute Man National Historic Park to the possibilities for Concord, MA. Also if your daughters have read Little Women, they might enjoy a visit to Orchard House, the author's home, also in Concord.

I agree with others that Nashua is a great base for exploring New England. Hope you'll have a terrific visit!

Boston, MA
Level Contributor
4,938 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Things to do in July with 2 teenage girls?

Oops, Thanks RT128

Yes, that was a typo, Ogunquit is indeed in Maine and worth a visit!

London, United...
3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Things to do in July with 2 teenage girls?

Wow - thanks everyone!! Looks like my girls are likely to be begging me to stay longer than 2 weeks! I'll have look through all your suggestions & see what we can do in the time we have, I can see us planning to come back again. Thanks!

North Shore, MA
Destination Expert
for Salem
Level Contributor
5,763 posts
181 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Things to do in July with 2 teenage girls?

No problem, Remay. As the OP lives across the sea, I was just concerned that she might be scratching her head trying to find Ogunquit on NH's tiny 13-mile coastline. I agree it's worth a visit!

Reply to: Things to do in July with 2 teenage girls?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Nashua