We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

climbing the jewell trail to the summit

Haverhill...
Level Contributor
13 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
climbing the jewell trail to the summit

So I am considering going with some friends on this hike. I have never hiked before, I consider myself in good physical shape. I am a 47 year old woman and I jog 3 miles, approximately3 to 4 times per week. I see where there are some comments that it is a difficult climb, and I see others where children have climbed it. Can someone please advise me of whether this would be a good idea, or not???

Baltimore, Maryland
Destination Expert
for North Conway
Level Contributor
12,082 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: climbing the jewell trail to the summit

Have not done Jewell, only Tuckermans and Lion's Head.

here is one link with info. http://home.earthlink.net/~ellozy/washington.html#Jewell

You will have to tell us afterwards. I did my ascent at 50 and am in reasonably good shape but waited for the absolutely perfect day before would try. Also, took the most popular trail just in case.

there were children as young as 9 that we met.

You do need to bring enough water to get to the top (you can refill for the return). I understand it is possible to get a ride down now if you don't want to make it a round trip.

It does not require kilimanjaro level climbing skills. Just good common sense. If you are prepared properly, then it is a wonderful day. But, there is a degree of danger which can be minimized by proper clothes, food, only climbing in good weather, etc.

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
56,966 posts
227 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: climbing the jewell trail to the summit

Try some other hikes first. Start with something lower and shorter in the Valley like North Moat. Then move to something in the notches like Wildcat or even Madison.

MT Washington is just that much more and extreme weather and conditions are normal. It is NOT a place for a first time hiker. That's how people die on the mountain.

Central Maine
Destination Expert
for Maine
Level Contributor
6,689 posts
152 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: climbing the jewell trail to the summit

Would agree with Red Rox.... NH has had so many cases of having to rescue unprepared hikers over the past several years that they now have a state law allowing the state agencies responsible for search-and-rescue to charge unprepared hikers for the cost of rescuing them. If you get into a situation over your head, you may end up endangering search and rescue folks as well as yourself.

Try a few lesser hikes first -- see how those go -- then decide -- and if it's a "go" be sure to take clothes and supplies for unanticipated weather and circumstances. Weather conditions on Mt Washington, especially at higher elevations, can change quickly and dramatically.

Lincoln, NH
Level Contributor
2,445 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: climbing the jewell trail to the summit

RedRox is the real mountain man of this forum, and he gives good advice. The trouble with giving advice about this hike is that your assessment of your fitness is relative, and may not be what we might think is "fit enough". Chances are too that you do not have a good pair of hiking boots if you are not a frequent hiker. Boots and the other necessary gear make a difference between enjoying the hike safely, and an unpleasant day with potential bad outcomes.

NESlaw hiked successfully, although, as you can see from his photo, the guy is built like a moose! And plenty of people can and do get up and down without incident. He also notes that he had a great day, and picked an easier trail that had other people on it. If you do choose to do the hike, make sure you get your friends to pick an easy ascent, and that you are fully prepared.

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
56,966 posts
227 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: climbing the jewell trail to the summit

I was eight years old when I completed my first ascent on MT Washington. Would have made it a year before but bad weather forced us to abandon the plan at Lake of the Clouds. However, by then I had almost 4 years of hiking and climbing experience in the Whites, with learning and training from others who had hiked the trails for decades with folks like Sherman Adams. I idolized the hut crews and their knowledge of every step on the trails. I never began a hike without a full change of dry clothing and layers in my back pack. These are things that one can only learn through experience. Fitness is important. But understanding and respecting the mountains is paramount.

Baltimore, Maryland
Destination Expert
for North Conway
Level Contributor
12,082 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: climbing the jewell trail to the summit

it is hard to disagree with my more conservative friends but if i had taken this advice would not have experienced one of the most fabulous days of my life. we researched the trails, read the books, packed appropriately, and most importantly went on a clear day ready turn turn around if there was a hint of bad weather.

7. Re: climbing the jewell trail to the summit

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 8:15 pm, June 22, 2014