We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Flights into/near mt washington?????

new jersey
Level Contributor
85 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Flights into/near mt washington?????

we want to go to Mount Washington for a ski trip, but really dont wat to drive from NJ to do this. Are there any flights or trains that get you relativley close to this resort? Also, would anyone recommend a better NH location for skiing? We are just looking for a romantic getaway in Feb. We are in our early 30s with no kids. thx!!!

Peterborough, NH
Level Contributor
540 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Flights into/near mt washington?????

I don't think people ski Mt Washington in the Winter...it is a Spring rite of passage known as Tuckerman's Ravine for the young and adventurous where there are no lifts and you have to hoof it up the mountain for each run.

That said, there are plenty of other ski areas in the White Mountains to consider such as WildCat which is right next to Mt Washington, Bretton Woods with the famous Mt Washington Resort and has great views of Mt Washington, and Cannon Mountain.

And of course there are the mountains slightly further South like Loon and Waterville Valley.

You can get a romantic getaway at any of these places although (and this is just a guess) I am going to bet Bretton Woods and Mt Washington Resort will have plenty of families and kids running around. My vote would be for Cannon which is a bit less commercialized but has some delightful inns and small towns to enjoy.

As for how to get there...assuming you are not considering a private plane into a small regional airport, Manchester NH is probably your best bet (and Continental flies direct from Newark daily).

From Manchester you are about 75 minutes from Loon and Waterville Valley, 90 minutes from Cannon, <2 hours to Bretton Woods, and 2+ hours to WildCat.

You could also fly into Portland, ME to get to Bretton Woods or WildCat in 2 hours.

Have fun!

new jersey
Level Contributor
85 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Flights into/near mt washington?????

thanks LR - appreciate all this info. Ya, I wish we were in the position to fly a private jet in, but that is not the case. Cannon - I have never heard of this place - I will have to see if I can find more info on it. Since we are begginer skiiers, would we able to find a place to snowboard that is close to Cannon? We were also interested in snow mobiles???? So, if we fly into Manchester, the drive isnt really far? This is all very good to know. You say it is a small town - bars, eateries, etc... Anything you would personnally recommend about this spot? Thank you so much!!!

Westerville, Ohio
Level Contributor
1,685 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Flights into/near mt washington?????

Kelly - if you go to skinh.com you will find info and maps on the ski areas in NH

new jersey
Level Contributor
85 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Flights into/near mt washington?????

I know, but I I come in these forums to get the local advice - its always more helpful.

Peterborough, NH
Level Contributor
540 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Flights into/near mt washington?????

Sorry, I did not ask about your level of skiing...Cannon is probably not the best mountain for beginners (36% black diamond on 55 trails). They have opened more easy terrain but it is still mostly known for its challenging runs.

You might be best off considering Loon (17% black diamond on 47 trails) and Waterville Valley (20% black diamond on 52 trails) as they have more varied terrain to choose from and there are plenty of eateries and lodging options in Lincoln and Woodstock.

Two other ski areas worth looking at would be Mt Sunapee and Attitash.

Sunapee is one of my faves...it's a little smaller than the others but offers plenty of varied terrain for two days of skiing and New London just down the road is a small college town and has a couple of eateries (but not super busy night life). I go here most since it is just one hour from my place.

I have never been to Attitash but I think it is the biggest in the state as far as # of trails and acreage of terrain. Not sure what the nightlife scene is but with 70+ trails, I am sure there is something there.

N Dartmouth MA
Level Contributor
1,805 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Flights into/near mt washington?????

You can also try Black Mtn. It's a nice small mountain for beginners. The price is pretty good to. Jackson is beautiful. If you're looking for shopping, restaurants and nightlife I'd go to North Conway. Jackson is practically right down the street. If you fly into Manchester, N Conway is about 1 1/2 to 2 hrs away. If you've never been you won't be disappointed.

N Dartmouth MA
Level Contributor
1,805 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Flights into/near mt washington?????

What dates in February are you coming? School vacation week falls on the 3rd week. Try to avoid if possible. We've got plenty of snow so the mountains are going to be crowded.

8. Re: Flights into/near mt washington?????

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:23 am, September 17, 2009