We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Manchester to smugglers notch

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
16 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
Manchester to smugglers notch

We are flying into Manchester staying at smugglers notch. Can you suggest some towns to stop at on the way. Thank you

Hollis, New...
Level Contributor
4,678 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Manchester to smugglers notch

You don't say why you want to stop, but assuming you're just looking for generally attractive towns: If you want to proceed more or less directly to Smugglers' Notch, Hanover, NH, is just about on the way. This is the home of Dartmouth College and makes for a pleasant stop.

If you want to detour for some extended sightseeing, head west on Route 101 from Manchester to Keene, NH, and then turn northwest on Route 12. There are many nice towns on this route, including Peterborough, Harrisville (slightly north of the route), Keene, Walpole, and Cornish (site of the home of sculptor Augustus Saint-Gaudens, a National Historic Site).

SoCal
Level Contributor
1,238 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Manchester to smugglers notch

A quick followup to the OP's question (from last year!): we are driving the same route but will be staying in Stowe, on the south side of Mt Mansfield. We fly in from the West coast and will need a place to stay overnight before we head to Stowe. Peterborough or Keene are probably the limit of the driving I want to do after a long day on the plane (they look to be about an hour west of the airport)-any other recommendations for small towns for a restful first night's stop, especially ones closer to the airport?

Edited: 12:19 pm, April 29, 2016
Hollis, New...
Level Contributor
4,678 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Manchester to smugglers notch

Keene is a good bit farther than Peterborough, though it may have the widest selection of lodging options if you don't stay in Mancester.. Otherwise, you'll probably need to chooe an inn/B&B (by no means a disadvantage in my opinion, but not to everyone's liking) or a motel. Although I haven't been there, I have very good reason to believe that Little River B&B in Peterborough is lovely, and the innkeeper is a regular on this board.

The drive from the airport to Peterborough is easy, straight along Routes 101A/101.

SoCal
Level Contributor
1,238 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Manchester to smugglers notch

Thanks, wpsaukee-Peterborough sounds like the best choice. Our flight arrives late afternoon, so we would have a little time in the evening for Peterborough before turning in. Still looking at Burlington as our arrival airport, but a r/t in and out of Manchester avoids a one-way car rental and is less expensive for airfares.

Boston...
Level Contributor
4,205 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Manchester to smugglers notch

What does "the same route" mean? Two options were mentioned.

Going out of your way, which it would be, to get to Peterborough and Keene doesn't make much sense to me. Not bad places but in the time it takes to get there you could go in the direction you're heading and be in the Hanover area in the same time. And although it's subjective I think that area is nicer than the Peterb and Keene.

SoCal
Level Contributor
1,238 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Manchester to smugglers notch

Hank, the "same route" was refering to the fact that we are also traveling between Manchester and Stowe, as was the OP. Peterborough was offered as a somewhat closer alternative overnight stop to avoid having to drive the bulk of the route after a long transcontinental flight, but your point is well taken-it appears that there is only 20 minutes or so difference in drive time between the two options.

FWIW, our itinerary has changed somewhat: we will now be traveling between Manchester airport and the Rutland area and are re-evaluating the overnight stop vs. driving straight through to Rutland. I am on the fence about the drive on our arrival day mainly because we will have a fairly long day of air travel beforehand: 6 AM departure (PST), 5 PM arrival (EST), followed by 2+ hours of driving in the evening on unfamiliar roads would make for a long and tiring day of travel. In general, I try to avoid driving after a long flight or multiple time zone changes, which is always our plan for European or S Pacific trips; since the time zone change for this trip is "only" 3 hours, it will not be as big a factor but is still something to consider. The upside of driving on our arrival day is that we could "hit the ground running" the next day and not have to use our valuable vacation time driving to the first destination on our itinerary.

I'e already started a new thread on our overall trip, so I will refrain from tagging onto the OP's thread for future questions. Thanks for the input!

New Hampshire
Level Contributor
1,117 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Manchester to smugglers notch

Manchester to Rutland is about 2-2.5 hours, and easy. However, if you want an overnight stop en-route, Concord NH is 25 minutes up I-89 from Manchester airport. Since it's the state capital, there are lots of accommodations. You could also stop in Lebanon NH, which is about 80 minutes up I-89 from Manchester, lots of motels and such there, including a Marriot 3 minutes off I-89 exit 18. For something more small town, I believe there is a small motel just off I-89 exit 12 in New London, NH, about an hour from the airport. I wouldnt try Peterborough or Keene - just too far off your path.

Boston...
Level Contributor
4,205 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Manchester to smugglers notch

I can understand now wanting to drive far after a long flight. Personally I'd either suck it up and go all the way (because it'll be to late to really enjoy anywhere on the way anyway) or just stay in Manchester and get an early start the next morning. Staying in Manchester would be my choice.

Manchester isn't exactly a tourist attraction but it's ain't too bad. Plenty of places to get a nice dinner which is all you'll really have time for anyway so why bother with half way is the way I'd look at it.

Concord, which the prior poster mentioned, is a little nicer than Manchester though so maybe split the difference and drive the half hour.

Edited: 5:14 pm, May 06, 2016
SoCal
Level Contributor
1,238 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Manchester to smugglers notch

We decided to "suck it up" (as Hank so eloquently put it!), and drive straight to our first stop, which is about 20-30 minutes south of Rutland (The Crisanver House B&B). If our flight arrives as scheduled and it doesn't take too long to pick up the rental car, we should still be able to make evening dinner at the B&B we are staying at (the proprietors are already aware of our itinerary and projected arrival time). Then we will have more time our first day for activities instead of spending the morning driving, checking in, etc. I'm already researching the Appalachain and Long Trails to locate the trailheads closest to our B&B so we can do a moerate hike our first day, weather permitting. Thanks to everyone for the tips and suggestions!

10. Re: Manchester to smugglers notch

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10:18 pm, May 23, 2017