We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Drive from Manchester to Boothbay Harbor, Maine....

Which Manchester hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Florida
Level Contributor
100 posts
39 reviews
Save Topic
Drive from Manchester to Boothbay Harbor, Maine....

We are flying in on Friday through Tuesday and then driving to Boothbay Harbor. Suggestions for best scenic route? How is the fall color there this week?

New Hampshire
Level Contributor
365 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Drive from Manchester to Boothbay Harbor, Maine....

Hi Florida Girlie!

You should have some fantastic color for your trip! Others may want to jump in for best route to Boothbay harbor. I'm thinking if you want an off the beaten path scenic route take 101 east towards seacoast get off 101 at Deerfield/Candia exit (route 107/43) follow thru Deerfield staying on Rt 43 until you reach Rt.4 in Northwood take Rt 4 east to Portsmouth then follow Rt. 1 from Portsmouth into maine. You should stop at the Kittery trading post (a local favorite).

Depending if you want to get right up to Boothbay Harbor or for a more leisurely drive stay over in Portland, Me and take a look around before heading north up to Boothbay Harbor.

You should miss all the traffic here this weekend. And because you will be near the coast the peak color should be right on for your trip!

Have fun

Antrim, New...
Level Contributor
1,983 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Drive from Manchester to Boothbay Harbor, Maine....

I'm not sure I can tell you the "best" scenic route. I especially know Maine less well than I know NH, where I live. But I can tell you that your timing should be perfect, especially for being near the shore. From MHT, follow Rte 101 East to Rte 125 and head north. Stay on 125 past Rte 4, to Rte 202 N, in the Rochester area. Then take Rte 202N. As this gets over near Portland, around Gray, ME, you'll want to find a route that goes nearer the coast, but I am not sure what to suggest.

That said, the route I outlined, and if you were to continue in a similar vein from POrtland to Boothbay, will be slow, meandering, and may get tiresome. Manchester MHT to Boothbay, on the highways, should be about 2 hours +/-. But this means Rte 101 (which, from Manchester east, is a 4 lane divided highway), to I-95 north, which won't be without its colorful scenery, but won't give you the WOW that you are hoping for. But it is quick. If your flight arrives in the morning, then time may not matter as much. But if you are arriving in the afternoon, you'll lose good daylight by about 6:30, and will join the parade of weekenders leaving Boston by about 3 or 4 PM. Rte 1, the coastal highway, will give you some beautiful scenery, but it is the endless commercial strip of the eastern US.

For a quick route with some nice scenic rewardds along the way, from MHT, take I-93 north to Concord. Take the exit for I-393 East. This will turn into Rte 4/202. Follow Rte 4 to Portsmouth and take I-95 North, and then follow whatever direction you've been given to your place in Boothbay. Rte 4 will be a pleasant and attractive 2 lane road with some nice New England scenery along the way, and you won't kill a ton of time getting to Boothbay.

You may want to cut your losses and make good time to Boothbay and save your driving for exploring the gorgeous Maine coast. Stop at a Maine Tourist Info location (there is one on I-95 soon after you cross into Maine) and get either or both a highway map of Coastal Maine and an Official Maine Highway map. They may be charging for them, now, but they used to be free and are the best maps you can get for including smaller roads that won't appear on the usual Rand McNally. Then, just follow your noses. The caoastal map is excellent for showing small roads along the coast.

Southern New...
Level Contributor
511 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Drive from Manchester to Boothbay Harbor, Maine....

Hi...Friday to Tuesday is not a lot of time. If you meander some of the routes mentioned you'll never get to Boothbay. My suggestion is to stay on Rt 95 from Boston to north of Portland and get off at Freeport then head up Rt 1 to BBH. Along the way make a stop in Portsmouth, NH, a real colonial times small city and possibly a side trip into Portland. Once off Rt 95 in Freeport take your time and enjoy all Maine has to offer. Try to find time for a drive from BBH to Camden (85 M north), as BBH to Camden is the BEST of ME. Do side trips along RT 1 down the little peninsulas towards the ocean for a fel of real small town ME. When going thru Wiscasset, ME (just before the turnoff to BBH) look for Reds Eats right at the bridge. If it's still open do stop for the BEST lobster roll in ME. One caution is a lot up there closes around now so it may not be open. Have fun and enjoy one of the two prettiest spots in the US.

ps: Camden and BBH is where I go for my summer weekend getaways!

Southern New...
Level Contributor
511 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Drive from Manchester to Boothbay Harbor, Maine....

Just noticed you are heading out from Manchester rather than Boston so take Rt 101 east to RT 95 first.

5. Re: Drive from Manchester to Boothbay Harbor, Maine....

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:20 am, August 26, 2009