We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Car Hire near bus routes MA/NH/ME

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
30 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Car Hire near bus routes MA/NH/ME

HI, I am hoping someone can help me connect the dots so to speak. My friend and I are catching a bus from Boston to Manchester and are hoping to pre book a car to collect from there. We will then be driving up to Vermont then over to NH and ME and dropping the car off in Portland, to catch a bus back to Boston (Being Aust we dont want to drive in the peak Boston traffic as it will be difficult enough just getting used to the other side of the road) - my question is, can anyone help me work out where the best place to get off the bus at Manchester is so we will be near a car hire place and then at the end of the week where to drop off the car so we are close to a bus service to take us back to Boston?

I have tried the bus companies for help but dont seem to be getting very far and its difficult to know which car place I need from the other side of the world. At this stage I dont mind the price I just need to find a car hire place which will do pick up and drop off near bus stations.

If anyone has done something similar I would love some help as I am a bit stuck trying to connect the dots from here - thankyou!!

Concord, New...
Level Contributor
467 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Car Hire near bus routes MA/NH/ME

Honestly, that seems like alot of work, but if I were going to do that I suppose I would catch a bus to Concord NH and skip Manchester, unless you have a reason, there is an Enterprise here and they will come pick you up at the Bus Station or you can cab it over there its about a mile or two from the Bus Station. From Concord you could jump right on 89 and head to VT.

If you don't like Enterprise there is a Hertz in Concord as well and that is about a mile from the Bus Station too.

http://www.concordcoachlines.com/

If you really want to stop in Manchester, I would use http://www.flightlineinc.com/ and catch a ride to the airport in Manchester and rent a car there.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
30 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Car Hire near bus routes MA/NH/ME

Thanks so much for your help, I guess it doesnt matter where we pick up the car but we are heading for Woddstock area VT so maybe I might look at hiring the car in Concord instead. We just dont want to try and drive out of Boston so thought another pickup area would be better. Once we have the car we are going to Barnard for 2 days then accross to Chocurua NH then onto Maine before going back to Boston - all in all car rental for 6 days.

Thanks Carolyn, I will look into the Concord option - seems a little simpler :)

Hollis, New...
Level Contributor
4,670 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Car Hire near bus routes MA/NH/ME

In most cases, picking up and dropping off a rental car in separate locations incurs a hefty surcharge. I don't know whether that would be the case for you. But driving from Portland to Concord, or especially to Manchester, and getting a bus there would not add a great deal of extra time as compared to going directly from Portland to Boston (I'd guess about an hour and a half, depending on how smoothly all of your transitions go). You might factor that into your planning--that is, determine whether it would cost you significantly more for the car if you dropped it off in a different location, and if so, consider returning the car to the same place you pick it up.

I have to add that I don't really understand why renting in Concord would be any simpler than in Manchester. Carolyn_joe seems to know about the rental options in Concord, but I would be surprised to learn that similar options did not exist in Manchester, which is a larger city. Maybe I'm missing something, but in my mind, Manchester seems like the better option, particularly if you do end up returning your car there on the way to Boston.

Edited: 12:32 pm, September 20, 2011
Concord, New...
Level Contributor
467 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Car Hire near bus routes MA/NH/ME

My only thought is that why Navigate through Manchester if he isn't comfortable with driving in Boston, especially when the Bus comes to Concord anyway and he has to go to 89 to get to VT, there really isn't a need to drive around in Manchester, pay the toll etc. The bus station in Concord is literally right next to the highway and 89 is about a mile away.

Nothing against Manchester, I just figured why even bother with it if he is headed to VT anyway. (plus I find the intersection of Rte 3/293/93/Everett Turnpike etc out by the airport to be somewhat confusing to give directions to out of staters.)

I agree that none of this is the preferred method. The problem is that public transportation in New England tends to go North-South and not East-West To get to Maine from VT via bus you have to go back to Boston anyway.

I suppose they may be better off returning the Car back to Concord, taking the bus to Boston and then taking the Downeaster Train or a Bus to/from Boston/Portland unless they need a car in Portland.

Concord, New...
Level Contributor
467 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Car Hire near bus routes MA/NH/ME

Also, for the record, you may just consider getting a car at the Boston Airport, Its all highway anyway to get to NH and VT and other than the volume of traffic, there isn't much different between driving the highway in Boston and the highway anywhere else, there may be some traffic backups but thats about it, its just a little wider.

Concord, New...
Level Contributor
467 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Car Hire near bus routes MA/NH/ME

Also, the Bus station in Manchester is downtown near the Verizon Arena and the Millyard, most of the Car rental places are at the Airport and So. Willow Road.

North Shore, MA
Destination Expert
for Salem
Level Contributor
5,713 posts
181 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Car Hire near bus routes MA/NH/ME

The OP has also posted her question on the Maine and Massachusetts forums. I replied on the Mass. forum and suggested that she take the C&J bus to Portsmouth where Enterprise offers 24 hour per day rental car pick-up/drop-off at the bus terminal. My thought was Portsmouth gets her out of Boston traffic and on the way for the NH leg of her trip (Manchester seemed like an arbitrary choice made from afar), and then at the end of the trip, she can drop the car off in Portsmouth rather than Portland, avoiding any one-way rental drop charges. What do you folks in NH think about this idea? Here's a link to thread on the Mass. forum:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g28942-i47-k482540…

Edited: 9:57 pm, September 20, 2011
Concord, New...
Level Contributor
467 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Car Hire near bus routes MA/NH/ME

RTE128,

Yeah that seems like a fairly good suggestion. Having a car rental right at the bus stop is pretty convenient. Not sure what the timing of flights is, but spending some time in Portsmouth is advised.

9. Re: Car Hire near bus routes MA/NH/ME

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10:19 am, October 23, 2012