We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Please--help us plan our 35th anniv trip to New England

Chicago, IL
Level Contributor
75 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
Please--help us plan our 35th anniv trip to New England

OK..we need YOU to be our tour guides...thank you..

we arrive in Manchester on Oct 6...go back to Chicago on Oct 12...need some ideas on what do and where? How much time to devote and where to stay each day.

we'd like to see

Boston

harvard

cape cod?

New England coast

fall colors

Relax

dine at nice moderately priced restaurants (one night for shrimp and crab legs--another for italian...and then steaks---)

marthas vineyard?

Its our 35th anniv...we're in our late 50's

i wish to make this trip very nice...but not push it.. both $$ wise or by trying to do too much

So...name some great places to see and thigs to do

Thank you so much

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
29,088 posts
430 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Please--help us plan our 35th anniv trip to New England

We spent our 35th anniversary doing a New England trip last October. We spent several days in the White Mts. of NH then drove down the coast of Maine from Bar Harbor to Ogunquit. We did not do the Boston area because that area in itself can take a week and had done it previously. Enjoy your trip planning.

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
29,088 posts
430 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Please--help us plan our 35th anniv trip to New England

And forgot to add that this is the prime time for fall colors so better book your lodging, etc. ASAP. Rates can jump up on Columbus weekend too.

Westerville, Ohio
Level Contributor
1,689 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Please--help us plan our 35th anniv trip to New England

This trip only gives you 5 full day to explore and you will not have enough time to see it all. Perhaps you should split your trip into two parts and pick one. Boston, Cape Cod and MV as one and the Maine coast, New Hampshire and Vermont as #2. If you do that then posters can direct you to lodging, restaurants, etc. If you decide on NH - Vt, it will be crowded and reservations should be gotten due to foliage and a three day w/e.

Good luck!

Lincoln, NH
Level Contributor
2,550 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Please--help us plan our 35th anniv trip to New England

Agree with dav -- you have too many places on your list. From Manchester, I'd go north to the White Mountains (make reservations right away -- it's foliage season) and then work my way east to the Maine coast - Acadia National park down to Boothbay Harbor or so -- then back to Manchester to head home. You have 6 nights. I'd do two near N. Conway, two near Acadia and two around Boothbay.

Chicago, IL
Level Contributor
75 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Please--help us plan our 35th anniv trip to New England

thank you...Ok...now we have a change in plans

We will be going to Boston on Friday..Oct 8 and leaving Boston on Sunday Oct 10. we plan to go to a Harvard football game on Oct 9 so we now need ideas for the Manchester area for October 6,7

and then what to do in Boston and then after we leave Boston on Sunday. I think we would like to go to cape cod and then up the coast? But we need to be back in Manchester to fly out on Oct 12 ..A nice circlular drive -perhaps?

Chicago, IL
Level Contributor
75 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Please--help us plan our 35th anniv trip to New England

An update--still need to fill our schedule...

Right now we have a segway trip planned for Oct 8..at noon...so we need to stay overnight within an hours ride i guess.

So again...we have an interest in SAlem mass on the 7th or 8th...plus some foliage beofre that on the 6th or 7th)

we do not wish to drive 5-6 in one day...is that what my trip will be?

How can I shorten that yet enjoy a day with colors and small town stops for walks?

Boston
Level Contributor
382 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Please--help us plan our 35th anniv trip to New England

It sounds like your priorities are to see some fall colors and something of the ocean, while not doing too much driving and having time to relax. It's all personal opinion of course, but if I were you I would go for one of the following itineraries:

-2/3 nights White Mountains (colors will be peaking around that time)

-2 nights Boston

-1/2 nights on the North Shore (eg. Rockport) or Portsmouth NH

OR

-2 nights North Shore

-2 nights Boston

-2 nights Monadnock region in NH to see fall colors. White Mountains is also a possibility, but is a slightly longer drive and may be just past peak by this time. The Monadnock region has some nice, small New England villages to see too.

These itineraries won't be too much driving, and will give you a nice taste of New England along with foliage and ocean. Cape Cod is doable, but will add more driving and it'll be fairly quiet at that time of year. Obviously the Cape is better known than the North Shore, but Rockport on the North Shore is just as nice in my opinion and fits more easily into your plans, allowing you a more relaxed trip. Salem would be easy to do from there (although personally I'm not particularly impressed by Salem). Personally I would cut out or reschedule the Segway tour if it's going to cause problems with your itinerary - you could take a duck tour instead or do the freedom trail. I haven't seen anyone doing Segway tours in Boston, and I'm confused as to where they would go or what the advantage is. The sidewalks aren't always very wide and can be a bit crowded.

Lincoln, NH
Level Contributor
2,550 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Please--help us plan our 35th anniv trip to New England

How do I gently say "you aren't reading what we've written"? You do not have time for short driving days if you want to go to the Cape and up north. It can't be done. You can either drive a lot and experience our highways, or pick some places to actually visit. Refer to my earlier post, so some research on your own of the areas in the White Mountain and coastal Maine (these are the areas I think you should see) and take it from there.

I'm not a huge Cape Cod person, I know plenty others are -- but early October is the time to be up north, not on the Cape. I'd cut the Cape out of your program.

Edit: I was writing at the same time as Lou (Above me.) I like his idea of what he refers to as the North Shore. Me, I'd call that area Cape Ann -- it's Rockport, Gloucester and surrounding towns. It is very scenic, has great places to eat and stay, and has some rather nice beaches, although it will be too cold to swim. Check out Crane's Beach online. And if you like fried clams, Woodman's claims to be the "inventors". Whether they are or not is academic, they have a great clam at a truly original place.

Edited: 12:09 pm, September 08, 2010
Boston
Level Contributor
382 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Please--help us plan our 35th anniv trip to New England

"early October is the time to be up north, not on the Cape"

I couldn't agree more. The White Mountains are spectacular and you have the chance to be there in the peak foliage season - I can't understand why anyone wouldn't jump at that chance.

Hollis, New...
Level Contributor
4,669 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Please--help us plan our 35th anniv trip to New England

Along the same lines: Cape Ann (or for that matter, all of Essex County) provides better autumn foliage than does Cape Cod.

Edited: 1:44 pm, September 08, 2010