We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best bowling in Manchester?

Boston...
Level Contributor
23 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
Best bowling in Manchester?

So I've heard that bowling in Manchester is candlepin. Actually great since we'll be with a family group of all ages!

But what place your favorite and why?? I've found four (4) places listed in my surfing:

King Bowling Lanes

Hub Bowling Lanes

Stadium Lanes (appears to be co-located with Queen City Room??)

Lakeside Lanes (has parties, might be more upscale/pricier?)

About us: We're staying downtown (Radisson on Elm, I believe) but will all have cars if one of remote places is worth the trip. Looking for affordable, fun, and safe surroundings. Serving beer (or liquor) would be nice but probably not absolutely required. Will be there on a Friday night.

Any thoughts, reviews, reactions, suggestions???

Oh, and do any take reservations if we called ahead (party of up to 15-20 people, probably at least 3 lanes)?

Thanks!

Antrim, New...
Level Contributor
2,065 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best bowling in Manchester?

shark,

A few thoughts for you. First off, I am not familiar with the specific bowling alleys in Manchester, so I cannot specifically recommend one or another. I Googled Bowling Manchester and came up with the ones you listed and a few others, and have a sense of where they are. Hub, Stadium and one or two others are close to the downtown area. Some areas around downtown can be a bit sketchy, but the bowling alleys may be just fine. I don't want to dis them without knowing. You may want to drive by and get your own sense. King and Lakes are a bit out the edge of town and might be a better family choice.

Re: Lakeside and possibly others, "bowling" and "upscale" are not terms that I would typically think of together. What it really refers to is that they can accommodate large groups and parties, and have the facilities to provide food for your party. Kids' bowling/pizza birthday parties are popular, and bowling is such a social activity that it lends itself to casual parties. Which is why neighborhood may not matter much at a bowling alley.

As for reservations, you can probably call the bowling alley and tell them you are a party of 15 - 20 and would like to reserve several lanes. I am sure that any bowling alley will accommodate you and offer whatever food and drink options they might have. They will probably also have some kind of a group discount, maybe no charge for shoes. The only problem might be if you are trying to bowl on a league night, and at the league time. They will still have lanes available, but maybe less choice.

Firdays and Saturday nights, a lot of bowling alleys have special events, usually some combination of glow bowling and rock music. With glow bowling, they turn the house lights off, turn the black lights on, maybe strings of party lights, glow in the dark bowling balls, a mirror ball or two, etc., and usually with rock music playing. This is a lot of fun.

Bowling in northern New England is a lot of fun with a family group. Candlepins, if you are not familiar, are both easy and difficult, which sort of levels the field for a diverse group. The balls are about the size of a large softball, easy for kids to hold and control. The pins are tall, tapering to both ends. They can stand on either end, and when they fall, will spin on the center axis where the pin is widest. And spin they do. Dead wood is left rather than cleared after each ball, and each frame consists of three balls, rather than two. So, aside from knocking down the remaining pins with the ball, you can use the dead wood to knock pins down. But this is not as easy as it sounds as the balls also get directed by the dead wood. The result is that a strike or spare is not so easy to get, and sometimes people just get lucky, keeping scores much closer together and often under 100. An added kid bonus is that most bowling alleys offer bumper lanes, so kids don't keep throwing their balls in the gutter.

Boston...
Level Contributor
23 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best bowling in Manchester?

thanks! this is helpful.

i'll call around as you suggest.

had to laugh about your "upscale" and "bowling" comment. i don't disagree. ;) but at least in boston now there are a place or two that charge a lot more and are much more modern, with real food/ restaurants attached. very fun with the right crowd but too expensive for my taste with this larger (and younger) crowd!

if anyone does have specific experience, still do let me know.

thanks again!

New Hampshire
Level Contributor
98 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best bowling in Manchester?

I'd go with Lakeside Lanes or Hub Bowling Lanes...used to live in Manchester...Stadium Lanes is located in a lousy part of town couple blocks up from the jail and on the fringes of some run down neighborhoods...not sure about King Lanes never bowled there...did bowl at Lakeside Lanes...out by the Massabesic Traffic Circle...plenty of parking, safe neighborhood, clean facility ... the Hub bowling lanes, while I've never been there are in a nicer part of town...stay away from the Stadium Lanes...

Boston...
Level Contributor
23 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best bowling in Manchester?

thanks ramblinman! i knew i'd get some good scoop from a local.

hope you had a nice thanksgiving (assuming you're still in NH :).

5. Re: Best bowling in Manchester?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:23 am, September 14, 2009