We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Opinion on best hikes in the White Mountains.

Level Contributor
21 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Opinion on best hikes in the White Mountains.

Hi!

I've been to the area lots in the winter for XC and Nordic Skiing, We are coming Aug.13.

I have the AMC hiking guide but it doesn't rate the hikes. I'm there for six days and would like to do the best possible. My wife and I are very fit late 50 year-olds.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Ed Langrall

edlangrall@aol.com

Boston...
Level Contributor
13 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Opinion on best hikes in the White Mountains.

The Waterfall Trail in Franconia Notch is great.

It is tough though. Climbing up bolders the first half crossing a stream with waterfalls everywhere. The waterfalls are only the first half and then it is tough rocky climbing to the summit.

Spectacular views though.

There is also a trail that takes you up to a hidden lake up in the mountains. That isn't as tough on your knees and it is pretty. I forget the name though.

If you go to Franconia Notch there is a ranger station in one of the parkking areas and you can ask where the trails are-great maps.

Lincoln, NH
Level Contributor
2,673 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Opinion on best hikes in the White Mountains.

Hi Ed,

I think the other poster was referring to the "Falling Waters" trail which is part of a fantastic loop trail that includes the Old Bridal Path to the summits of Lafayetter, Lincoln and Little Haystack, then down the Falling Waters. This is by many people's reckoning, the best hike in the Whites. But it is strenuous and you'll need real gear for inclement weather. (Read and heed the warnings and instructions in the front of that book!)

There are other AMC books that have selected hikes (the names of the books escape me) but the AMC guide books is pretty cut and dry -- ton of information, but short on ease of use.

I'd avoid Mt. Washington -- or any other summit for that matter that has a tram to the summit.

There are many trails off the Kancamangus Hwy that are worth a hike. It's Route 112 from Lincoln to Conway on a highway map.

You may also want to pose this question on the AMC's message board -- where, I'm certain, you'll get more traction.

Mark

Lincoln, NH
Level Contributor
2,673 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Opinion on best hikes in the White Mountains.

Hi Ed,

I think the other poster was referring to the "Falling Waters" trail which is part of a fantastic loop trail that includes the Old Bridal Path to the summits of Lafayetter, Lincoln and Little Haystack, then down the Falling Waters. This is by many people's reckoning, the best hike in the Whites. But it is strenuous and you'll need real gear for inclement weather. (Read and heed the warnings and instructions in the front of that book!)

There are other AMC books that have selected hikes (the names of the books escape me) but the AMC guide books is pretty cut and dry -- ton of information, but short on ease of use.

I'd avoid Mt. Washington -- or any other summit for that matter that has a tram to the summit.

There are many trails off the Kancamangus Hwy that are worth a hike. It's Route 112 from Lincoln to Conway on a highway map.

You may also want to pose this question on the AMC's message board -- where, I'm certain, you'll get more traction.

Mark

4. Re: Opinion on best hikes in the White Mountains.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10:19 am, August 16, 2009
Get answers to your questions about Jackson