We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Safety in Hampton Beach

nyc
8 posts
Save Topic
Safety in Hampton Beach

Hi - looking to stay in safe area on the "Boardwalk." How does that work? On Ocean Boulevard, would the 100's to the 300's or 400's be good? I was told to avoid certain "Letter" streets, i.e., L, M, N,O but not sure what that means. Thank you!

7 replies to this topic
MA
Destination Expert
for New England
Level Contributor
7,141 posts
217 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Safety in Hampton Beach

It is all safe. No dangerous crime areas. On a summer Fri or Sat night the areas with bars and restaurants can get noisy and you might see some people who have drunk a bit too much, but it is not at all dangerous.

Edited: 8:35 pm, July 24, 2018
MA
Destination Expert
for New England
Level Contributor
7,141 posts
217 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Safety in Hampton Beach

Also, there is a large police barracks in the center and usually in officer or two on horseback patrol along the main drag.

nyc
8 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Safety in Hampton Beach

Great! Thanks for the info.

Rye, New Hampshire
Level Contributor
38 posts
1,385 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Safety in Hampton Beach

Hi - There are several small hotels and inns 'near' the Boardwalk (the Boardwalk itself is mostly restaurants, shops, a concern venue, etc.). The Ashworth is a very nice hotel with a good reputation. I'm including the website below. The 'letter' streets are side streets, and they're narrow and usually hard to drive out of in the peak of summer due to all the crowds walking the main boulevard, which is the street closest to the ocean. In all, it's a safe area, just very crowded in the summer because a lot of people come locally from the rest of NH, MA and Maine, as well as from all over the country. It's a very popular place! It's also safe, although you might see some 'sketchy' characters, but there are police everywhere and not really any crime at all. Have fun! https://www.ashworthhotel.com/

nyc
8 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Safety in Hampton Beach

Awesome! Thanks for the hotel recommendation!

Rye, New Hampshire
Level Contributor
38 posts
1,385 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Safety in Hampton Beach

You're welcome! Also, I forgot to mention that the Ashworth is right next to the actual Boardwalk and activities area (more shops, fast food, arcade) -- it's just a side street away. 'Concern' venue was meant to be CONCERT venue -- my laptop has a problem with autocorrecting, haha. Some of the restaurants are just okay and overpriced, but there are some good ones. All the fast food restaurants are pretty good. Make sure you get some salt water taffy. I live at the other (quieter) end of the NH seacoast and avoid Hampton Beach in the summer because of the traffic and crowds, but Hampton is one of the cleanest and prettiest beaches in the country, and you never run out of things to do. When you go, try to drive up the coast road to Rye and see the summer 'cottages" (mansions) along the way. Wallis Sands/Pirates Cove is a nice, smaller beach. Try to check out New Castle, which has a beautiful waterfront park and is full of historic 17th and 18th century homes. It hooks up with Portsmouth, a city with lots to do, lots of history, and very popular with tourists.

nyc
8 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Safety in Hampton Beach

Sounds like it will be a great vacation!

Enjoy the rest of the summer!

Reply to: Safety in Hampton Beach
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted