We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Fall Foliage Oct 16-23, 2012

Which Conway hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Dallas, Texas
1 post
Save Topic
Fall Foliage Oct 16-23, 2012

This is our first trip to see Boston and fall foliage. We arrive Boston Oct 16. We want to spend a few days in Boston and also see best fall foliage at that time. What route will be best and what are recommended accommodations. Should we see fall foliage first and then finish trip in Boston.

Antrim, New...
Level Contributor
1,981 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Fall Foliage Oct 16-23, 2012

The timeline for fall foliage is a moving target. No sure things. But, experience would say that the best color during the time you will be here will be across the southern tier of NH, and in western Mass. I would recommend spending a few days in the Monadnock region - southwest NH. Maybe stay in Keene, the largest city in this part of the state, or in a smaller town like Peterborough, Jaffrey, Hancock, Walpole, etc. The weekend of Oct 19-20 will be the Keene Pumpkin festival. A great event with thousands of lit jack-o-lanterns lining Main Street. But hotels in the area will book up quickly and prices will tend to be higher. Your choice.

My recommendation would be to go to this region first in your travels. Choose one place to stay, somewhat central, and the entire region is easily reachable. PLenty to do and see - hiking, biking, arts, great food, chocolate, covered bridges, beautiful Currier and Ives New England towns, and of course, the foliage, everywhere. Then, on Friday, I would head to Boston. There is so much to see and do in Boston. A lot of entertainment on weekends. It is just a great city.

Antrim, New...
Level Contributor
1,981 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Fall Foliage Oct 16-23, 2012

By the way, I noticed that you posted int he COnway Forum. Foliage in the Conway area and the White Mountains, will likely be faded and mostly gone by the 16th.

Peterborough, NH
Level Contributor
540 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Fall Foliage Oct 16-23, 2012

Agree with Next Stop, the foliage up North will likely be well past peak. Either the Monadnock Region of Southwest NH or the Berkshires of Western Massachusetts.

You could check out www.nhlodging.org for some travel planning tips (they have some information on hiking, events, arts & culture, etc) plus B&B lodging in the Monadnock Region.

USA
Level Contributor
846 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Fall Foliage Oct 16-23, 2012

Just found this for suggested routes: http://www.yankeefoliage.com/drives/

Fort Lauderdale...
Level Contributor
52 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Fall Foliage Oct 16-23, 2012

I'm hoping for fall foliage Oct. 10-15.....am I going to miss it towards the Conway area during my dates?

Central Maine
Destination Expert
for Maine
Level Contributor
6,667 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Fall Foliage Oct 16-23, 2012

TWA -- This time of year, ten days can make a huge difference in foliage country -- so hard to say exactly what foliage conditions will be then... But remember, unless we get a huge wind-rain storm, "peak" foliage doesn't arrive or disappear in a single day or even a few days -- it develops over time, growing to peak color, and then fades gradually over more time. Even if you don''t hit "peak", chances are good there will still be some color around when you get here.

Antrim, New...
Level Contributor
1,981 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Fall Foliage Oct 16-23, 2012

To add to Mainer, 10th to the 15th you may be on the waning side in the Conway and White Mountains area. But drive 25 to 50 miles south and you will likely be in the thick of it. That would put you in the Lakes Region or Dartmouth/Lake Sunapee. Monadnock region should be cooking pretty nice by then, too. So, the Whites may not be peak, but there will be plenty of color to see.

8. Re: Fall Foliage Oct 16-23, 2012

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post at the original author's request.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:38 pm, February 04, 2013
Fort Lauderdale...
Level Contributor
52 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Fall Foliage Oct 16-23, 2012

@ Hudson.....how far from Bsoton is this?

10. Re: Fall Foliage Oct 16-23, 2012

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 4:17 pm, July 11, 2016