We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Weather

australia
Level Contributor
179 posts
51 reviews
Save Topic
Weather

Visiting Boston and surrounding areas from Sept 28 to Oct 06.The weather looks warm up there at the moment but on some days I check and it varies considerably. We are visiting Stowe , Pittsfield & NOrth Conway and I have checked on some days this month it was down to 7 degrees Celcius but Boston is around 20-23. Is it much colder heading out to places like Stowe?

Coming from Australia, the coldest we got this winter was about 12-15 degrees Celcius but only at night.

Finding it hard to work out what to pack.

Vermont
Destination Expert
for Vermont
Level Contributor
2,174 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Weather

The key to packing clothes for that time of year is layering. Temps in northern NE vs. the Boston do vary, but not by a whole lot this time of year. It could be in the 70s F or the 40s F, but you never can tell until a few days out. So, bring t-shirts, fleece jackets, sweaters, etc. and you should be fine.

Have a gret trip!

scituate, ma
Level Contributor
421 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Weather

Temps in Northern New England can vary by about 20 degrees Fareheit from Boston, plus elevation is a factor. Dressing in layers -sweaters or fleece for warmth, windproof/waterproof shell - is the key. You can start the day off in shorts and a tee shirt and end up in a hat and mittens.

Day are usually warm and dry this time of year. 60 to 70 degrees in the day, but can get down to the 40s or cooler (even a frost) at night, It's the varying temps and the shorter days that work nature's magic on the foliage. Your traveling at a great time to catch some of the display, especially in NH or VT.

Enjoy your trip!

australia
Level Contributor
179 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Weather

Thanks for advice it sounds like our Ayers Rock area in winter we all walk around in t shirts andshorts in the day but at night it can be about 9 degrees (50 degrees F)

I am hoping to see some Foilage, some people have said its been too warm and I will be lucky to see any.

North Carolina
1 post
Save Reply
4. Re: Weather

We are arriving on October 14. We are coming in from Bar Harbor. What type of weather should we expect by that time? We are coming in from North Carolina on the 12th. It's still in the 80's and 90's here. Thanks B. Jackson

Boston
Level Contributor
2,907 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Weather

Yo JacksonBrown,

Are you really THE Jackson Brown!!! Kidding....

Dress in layers, that's all we can tell you right now; that's what we have to always do and we're living here right through it. You're SO lucky you're in 80 to 90 degree weather right now, I wish our summers stayed like that right through for months, I'd love it!

Right now late on Oct 8th it's been 60 degrees most of the late afternoon and in to the night. It's been raining like crazy all day in fact I think it just let up a few minutes ago for the first time, it's been on and off all day long, but it's not a bad thing because we really really needed this rain bad. Now our grass is nice and green again, so we're happy!

I would bring sweatshirts to wear and possibly one of those fleece jackets just in case it gets cooler at night later on? You just have to dress in layers that's all, like we're not pulling out the winter coats yet or the "long john's" let's put it that way! By next week it could drop even more; but so far it's been staying steady at the 60's & 70's during the day and then it drops down to the high 50's and low 60's at night again.

That's about it in a nutshell JacksonBrown!

scituate, ma
Level Contributor
421 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Weather

It has actually dropped as low as 33 degrees F at night, frost will be coming soon. Days have been unseasonably warm, in the 70's, but once this tropical system that's dumping all the rain on us right now moves on, things should get much cooler - 60's during the day, 30-40 at night.