We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Virginia City Labor Day weekend

PA
Level Contributor
60 posts
63 reviews
Save Topic
Virginia City Labor Day weekend

I see there are all kind of events for Labor Day is it worth checking out? or best to at another time? How far from Reno?

Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
1,250 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Virginia City Labor Day weekend

The following weekend has a little more going on with the annual camel races. Virginia City is a stop we always take visitors too, cute little mining museum, fun shops, quite a few cute things going on all the time. It can take 30-45 minutes to get there depending on traffic. Go early to get best parking.

Tarrytown, New York
Level Contributor
1,756 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Virginia City Labor Day weekend

I agree and you should at least head to Virginia City when they are having the camel races, definitely not something you see everyday.

The drive up to Virginia City is amazing, beautiful scenery and places to stop for pictures. It can be a little intimidating and locals tend to speed up and down the mountain but all in all, it's a nice trip.

Virginia City itself is a great little town, definitely has an old west feel to it. Lots of shops and places to eat.

Truckee, Ca
Level Contributor
121 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Virginia City Labor Day weekend

I love Virginia City - My mother was born there and my grandfather owned a bar on C street (it is now the visitor's center LOL). Its a fun town with all sorts of quirky events and festivals. My uncle used to call it a "Great little drinking town with a mining problem". The Bars are fun and they are hopping on weekends with surprisingly good live local entertainment. The locals frequently dress up in period costumes and wander the streets - It's just ... FUN!

Oregon
Level Contributor
6 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Virginia City Labor Day weekend

Go by the Bonanza Saloon on C Street and pick up some 2 for 1 Bloody Mary coupons. Good pour and you get 2 drinks for $6!

The latest discovery is the deep fried Butter Finger bar at Red's Candy shop. I am not much of a sweets eater, but that had to be the best darn way to eat a Butter Finger!

Virginia City is great, have fun!

5. Re: Virginia City Labor Day weekend

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:18 pm, October 06, 2012