We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Resort fee

Which Reno hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
tx
Level Contributor
8 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Resort fee

Are there any hotels in Reno that are not adding on resort fees after booking.

Oregon
Destination Expert
for Reno
Level Contributor
4,146 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Resort fee

It's those who don't need the shower that scare me.

Roseburg
Level Contributor
218 posts
206 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Resort fee

My husband just came back from a two night stay at the Silver Legacy. In addition to the tax, he was charged a resort fee. This is a big topic of conversation on the Las Vegas board and I am guessing corp. hotels will not be doing away with this, however I wish, like the tax, they would just add it into their price. Why quote $100 a night then you click on book and then there is the tax and then there is the resort fee. I feel the same way about airline fees, just put them into the price to begin with. I don't know if there is a law that they can't do that, but I'm tired of seeing one price and then you see all the taxes they are adding into it. If anyone knows why they don't just add it into their price (hotels or airlines) I would like know. Thanks.

Oregon
Destination Expert
for Reno
Level Contributor
4,146 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Resort fee

I believe it is marketing. If hotel A publishes $100, including all fees, but hotels B and C publish $90, without fees, hotel A would probably lose a lot of business. Too many buyers don't see beyond the numbers.

It's kinda the opposite with Southwest Air, which still doesn't charge for bags. But, the difference is, they've been around long enough that most buyers are aware of the "free bags" policy. And SW is wealthy enough to spend the advertising money on the fact that they don't charge for bags. So all they have to do is match the price of others. Then buyers will already know that SW is the better deal.

4 posts
1 review
Save Reply
14. Re: Resort fee

The difference is with airlines, you have a choice. These resort fees are charged to everyone. It is a scam that started in 2000 when they started charging energy surcharge because of energy prices.

4 posts
1 review
Save Reply
15. Re: Resort fee

Actually SW prices are higher than most airlines now. Especially last minute. They are no longer a low cost airline. So you may no pay for bags but you pay more in the long run.

Oregon
Destination Expert
for Reno
Level Contributor
4,146 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Resort fee

That's true. SW is no longer a low cost airline, though I did just book a Vegas trip, and they were the lowest. Fact is, they don't have to be the lowest cost, because they offer great service, they have a loyal customer base, and a easy and generous rewards program. Supply and demand.

I realize booking rooms and airfares is more complicated than it used to be. There are far too many folks willing or able to do the work ahead of time. As a result, these are the folks that are the most profitable.

Oregon
Destination Expert
for Reno
Level Contributor
4,146 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Resort fee

I should have said:

There are far too many folks NOT willing or able to do the work ahead of time. As a result, these are the folks that are the most profitable.

Edited: 9:21 pm, July 22, 2013
Boston...
Level Contributor
5,825 posts
209 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Resort fee

The things associated with this fee seem to be expected at normal 3+ star hotels. Exercise room? Pool? Those are expected.Seems like they get it because they can.

Portland
Level Contributor
1,841 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: Resort fee

Well, it is pretty simple. Stay at a 3* place that doesn't charge a resort fee. Silver Legacy charges less than $10 a day and includes a coupon book. Simple...add that money to the nightly rate (as frustrating as it may be) and decide to stay or not. How much is the "other" 3* place costing?

Boston...
Level Contributor
5,825 posts
209 reviews
Save Reply
20. Re: Resort fee

A resort should have bar service at the pool, immaculate grounds, tennis courts, volleyball courts, golf maybe? Phoenix has resorts that are resorts. To call a crummy 3 star hotel with barely adequate facilities a resort is silly and whether it's an extra ten or fifty dollars a night, it will drive away business in the long run. Totally short sighted. I'd rather pay a parking fee or a wifi fee than be paying a "resort" fee for an ordinary hotel with no extras beyond a typical five-treadmill gym.