We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Current road conditions on I-80 to Reno

Mountain View, CA
Level Contributor
1,329 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Current road conditions on I-80 to Reno

Hi,

We leave for Reno this Friday. Anyone know what the current road conditions are on I-80 to Reno?

I searched the web and it seems chains are required on I-80 near Truckee. Are chains available for purchase at the roadside?

Any current road info/experience is appreciated.

San Jose
Level Contributor
3,246 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Current road conditions on I-80 to Reno

Here you go, Live.

http://www.magnifeye.com/

Long Barn...
Level Contributor
4,717 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Current road conditions on I-80 to Reno

Cal Trans is your best source of information about current road conditions and chain controls. You really should be prepared for possible chain requirements before you leave home. If you wait to buy chains "roadside" you will be in trouble. It is best to purchase chains before you leave. There are places you can buy them locally for your tire size. Some places have a return policy = if you don't use them you can return them for a full refund. Check out your local stores.

There are stores along I-80 that do sell chains, but they are generally more expensive and may not have the size for your tires.... then what will you do?

There are chain installers that will put on YOUR chains for you. They are not allowed to sell chains. I believe the current cost is $30 for installation and $20 to remove them. They have permits from Cal Trans to do this job.

Here are some tips on chains and winter driving:

www.dot.ca.gov/hq/roadinfo/wntrdriv.htm

Edited: 6:48 pm, December 20, 2010
Mountain View, CA
Level Contributor
1,329 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Current road conditions on I-80 to Reno

thanks guys for the useful link and information.

San Jose
Level Contributor
3,246 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Current road conditions on I-80 to Reno

agshah, I am down the road in San Jose and have a set of tire chains here someplace. Post what size tires are on your vehicle and I'll go out and check them. They typically fit several similar sizes. They were bought for my last minivan. If they fit I would be happy to let you use them. I may even deliver as I love the Kabob place on Plymouth at Shoreline, and need a reason to drive out there.

Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
1,250 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Current road conditions on I-80 to Reno

We had two sets of people come up yesterday, no chains needed. Today is supposed to be bad again, but then clearing up for the weekend, although it can always change. You can purchase chains along the roadside but will pay more than you would where they are not in demand at the moment. Make sure you go to the main source for road conditions - www.dot.ca.gov, there is also an 800 number you can call while on the road. News organizations are often behind in reporting the current status. If you plan on going to Virginia City or up to the ski resorts, you may want chains with you for that.

Mountain View, CA
Level Contributor
1,329 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Current road conditions on I-80 to Reno

2Shorties, thanks very much for the offer. That's very nice of you.

I just checked the weather forecast and it seems starting Thurs it is looking good there. It may change of course :) but for now I believe I may be okay.

Mountain View, CA
Level Contributor
1,329 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Current road conditions on I-80 to Reno

nparmelee, thanks very much for the info.

Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
1,250 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Current road conditions on I-80 to Reno

This morning it looks good for today and tomorrow but there may be a big ugly thing coming in on Sunday to keep an eye on.

9. Re: Current road conditions on I-80 to Reno

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:54 am, June 22, 2011