We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Oatman

Laughlin, Nevada
Level Contributor
370 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Oatman

We went to Oatman a couple of days ago and had a great time. We go there an average of once a month and never get tired of this quaint little town. While visiting we always plan on spending money there for lunch, snacks, and gifts. The burros and mock gunfight are always an added treat. For the first time something happened to us there (first time ever for that matter) that I felt worth mentioning. We went into the local leather shop to browse. When we first walked in customers were at the counter and two lady store clerks were waiting on them. The clerks were talking strongly and loudly their views on certain political issues. It was a bit of a turn off beings we go to Oatman to relax and forget!! We did try to tune them out and planned on making a quick sweep through and then out. The store is about 3 store lengths long with door ways going into the other stores on the inside but storefront doors are locked (all but the one we entered of course). My husband spotted a table of leather tri-fold and bi-fold wallets. Price was good and he really liked the design and quality. It took him a while to pick out which one and which color he wanted. In the mean time one of the clerks came over and disguised herself as a customer by grabbing a hold of an elderly man and saying "Dear, don't you want one of these wallets"? The man looked confused and walked away. Then the lady kept reaching in front of my husband and admiring the wallets like she had just seen them for the very first time. My husband was taking his time deciding which wallet and I got a bit bored...looked around behind me and saw the lady. She was actually the store clerk we heard when we first walked in. She was whispering to the other clerk and staring at us. I told my husband that I think they think you are going to steal one of these...he's like no way!! We just kind of laughed it off. He finally picked the one he wanted and I told him I wanted to browse a bit more before we paid and left. We went to the end of the store and through a door way to check out some antique gasoline and petroleum cans. There were a couple of gentlemen in there as well. All of a sudden through the door way the other clerk hollers out to us...past the other men..."Can I help you with anything?!!" We were startled and said no thank you just looking around. The one gentleman said "You are either loaded or she thinks you are going to take something". I said to him it was the wallet. Everyone laughed. When we came around the corner the two clerks were whispering again and the second one had mean look on her face as we walked up. I ask her if she was having a problem with my husband carrying around the wallet. She denied it. I said that I hoped not because that would be very insulting!. Those two birds looked like the cat had swallowed the canary!! We paid for the wallet and left with grace and smiles. But, we won't go back in that store. Maybe these ladies have had bad luck with theft and times are hard but to be so blatant and obvious and so wrong about our intentions...it's a shame!!! We are normal looking people with no red flags that would alert anyone to think we would do anything like this. Like I said this is a first and I hope this is the last we are ever treated that way!! We won't let this reflect badly in this wonderful town. Oatman is still a fun place and worth visiting.

Brighton
Level Contributor
247 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Oatman

Cool.

san diego
Level Contributor
481 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Oatman

Jeeze. How strange and random? I do hope they don't treat all their customers like they did you two. Oatman needs all the financial help they can get and treating customers like thieves is not the way to promote business.

Laughlin, Nevada
Level Contributor
370 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Oatman

Agreed Laughlinorbust. Never had this happen to us before....and, we visit there quite often and spend monies there. We will continue to do so but just not at that leather store!!! These two ladies need a course in good business sense!!! I just wonder how many others have been treated this way in that store????

Edited: 1:39 pm, February 04, 2013
san diego
Level Contributor
481 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Oatman

I know the store you are talking about and I do think I've bought a wallet there a few years ago. I like the wallet but I found that the area where you put money in was too small (not that I had SO MUCH folding money!!) I gave it to one of my sons so it wouldn't go to waste. When I go back to Oatman in June, I'll go to this store and see what kind of reception I get.

Laughlin, Nevada
Level Contributor
2,261 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Oatman

The political stuff is quite common anywhere in the State of Arizona. It even pops up from time to time at the poker tables. The sad reality is that they believe that everyone in the nation feels as they do. They refuse to let reality interfere with their illusions.

Laughlin, Nevada
Level Contributor
370 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Oatman

Couldn't agree with you more Grif! Thinking of you and take care....

7. Re: Oatman

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:18 am, February 09, 2014
Get answers to your questions about Laughlin