We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

ESTA new employement questions...

London, United...
Level Contributor
17,390 posts
245 reviews
187 helpful votes
ESTA new employement questions...
Save

I've just discovered (as so often happens by reading an unrelated TA forum thread) that the new ESTA application form includes the mandatory question 'Do you have a current or previous employer?' And, if you tick yes, you are expected to provide a name and address for that employer.

My answer is, yes, I do have a previous employer but I've worked for myself for the past 14 years.

I cannot find any FAQ clarification on whether they expect me to tick the 'Yes' box and include the details of the guy I worked for in 2001, to tick the 'Yes' box and include my own details (although there is no way of indicating self-employment) or to tick the 'No' box because I work for myself and have done, as much as it probably matters for the purposes here, for ever.

I'm going to phone the CBP in a couple of hours when they open their phone lines but I'm not holding out for getting the answers I need.

Can anyone help with any information?

Thank you.

Manchester
Level Contributor
78 posts
4 reviews
19 helpful votes
1. Re: ESTA new employement questions...
Save

You are self employed, therefore have no employer, I would assume.

London, United...
Level Contributor
17,390 posts
245 reviews
187 helpful votes
2. Re: ESTA new employement questions...
Save

Thank you for your reply. But I'm not happy to play assumptions with the United States Customs and Border Protection Service.

Leeds, United...
Level Contributor
2,075 posts
417 reviews
162 helpful votes
3. Re: ESTA new employement questions...
Save

Interesting - mine expires in Jan so am going to visit the website now to see what's going on. Please let us know if you hear back LDN.

London, United...
Level Contributor
17,390 posts
245 reviews
187 helpful votes
4. Re: ESTA new employement questions...
Save

I will. I've also now found the email form on their site so have sent a message there as well. Says it takes 2-3 days for a reply.

You must also let me know if you find something I didn't on the website. It's a definite possibility that you will!

Leeds, United...
Level Contributor
2,075 posts
417 reviews
162 helpful votes
5. Re: ESTA new employement questions...
Save

Only found the reasons for them asking:

"Pursuant to Section 214b of the Immigration and Nationality Act, all individuals must demonstrate that they are not intending immigrants into the United States and qualify for visitor or non-immigrant status. Employment information can help demonstrate eligibility under this legal requirement"

London, United...
Level Contributor
17,390 posts
245 reviews
187 helpful votes
6. Re: ESTA new employement questions...
Save

Saw that to. Quite aside from the mistake with the language it doesn't tell us much.

Certainly me telling them the details of the guy I worked for in 2001 isn't going to give them any indication of whether I intend to stay illegally.

I'm about to make my phone call. I'll let you know the outcome. Or what response I get from the email.

St Helens, United...
Level Contributor
649 posts
212 reviews
93 helpful votes
7. Re: ESTA new employement questions...
Save

LDN_2009 my best mate lives in Denver and recently his dad visited him and had to do his ESTA - he is self employed like yourself. My mate rang boarder control (or whatever) to get clarification and they said that if you're self employed you have to tick YES to employed and put your registered company address. He is just a sole trader so isn't LTD or anything so just put his home address which the Tax man has and had no issues getting the ESTA granted. I think there is a place to put proprietor too? Maybe in the job title? Sorry done mine a while back so cant remember what it looks like.

Hope that helps.

Edited: 4 years ago
St Helens, United...
Level Contributor
649 posts
212 reviews
93 helpful votes
8. Re: ESTA new employement questions...
Save

my friend just messaged me and said 'the answer to Employer is to put Self Employed, it tells you this on the on-line application apparently'

London, United...
Level Contributor
17,390 posts
245 reviews
187 helpful votes
9. Re: ESTA new employement questions...
Save

First thing to say is I just tried the CBP, waited listening to various recorded messages for 10 minutes before finally being able to select the right option at which point I was told 'good bye' and the phone hung up.

Secondly, mobeverton, I appreciate that. Thank you.

There definitely isn't any information on the application about what to put. But that sounds totally plausible. Could I ask you to double check with your mate and his dad? I would really appreciate it. There's a box for 'Job Title' and a box for 'Employer Name'.

I'm thinking 'Proprietor' and 'Self Employed' respectively (as you suggested) but I'm also wondering whether 'Proprietor' should go in the 'Employer Name' and a description of what I do should go in the 'Job Title'.

Cheers.

Edited: 4 years ago
St Helens, United...
Level Contributor
649 posts
212 reviews
93 helpful votes
10. Re: ESTA new employement questions...
Save

just whatsapp'd him....will respond asap