We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bally's being haunted with ghosts

Langley
Level Contributor
60 posts
59 reviews
Save Topic
Bally's being haunted with ghosts

I have booked the weekend at Bally's for four nights (my husband is doing the LV marathon). Anyway, I read the following review posted for Bally's (see below). I am not sure if this person is just joking or if the hotel really is indeed haunted...anyone wish to comment. I woudl rather just be alone in the hotel room with my husband...no ghosts needed...

The hotel was good and the location is right in the middle of the strip. I had a nice room on the 23rd floor. The only odd thing was that at 0630 one morning I observed a women standing in my room for about 3 minutes until she slowly faded away. I later learned that Bally's used to be the MGM in but in 1980 there was a traggic fire that left 84 people dead. I have since researched the event and found several reports of the top floors of the hotel being haunted. There have been numerous reports from guests and employees seeing apparitions. I would have never beleived it until I saw it myself.

USA
Level Contributor
8,009 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Bally's being haunted with ghosts

Well, it is true there was a fire there when it was the MGM and many people did die and most of the victims were on the top floors from smoke inhalation. The LVFD didn't have any way to get to those people and because the doors lock behind you when you leave, most died in the halls and stairways trying to escape.

I guess it depends on whether or not you believe in such things and if you do if it bothers you. Personally I do believe in "ghosts" since I lived in an apartment that had a friendly one (casper?) and I find it intriuigng, but if it bothers you, you might want to change hotels.

Just keep in mind, if it is true, they can't hurt you physically.

USA
Level Contributor
8,009 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Bally's being haunted with ghosts

Here is a link to a condensed version of what happened.

…wikipedia.org/wiki/MGM_Grand_Hotel_Las_Vega…

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
605 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Bally's being haunted with ghosts

I had the same concern when we went after reading different things. So I asked the hotel to put me lower than the 18th floor. We were on the 17th our window looked out to the side of Barbary Coast) Above that is where most of the people had died. The hotel told me that that is a common request and they actually have a code they put into the computer when you ask. I was very nervous because it is also listed in the Haunted Vegas bookI . I did have a uneasy night the first and second night. It was about 2 or 3 am and the smoke detector went off in our room. (we don't smoke) Just our room. We had to call the front desk to get someone to come and turn it off. I could swear that the chair was not where I had it when I went to bed. That had scared me more than the fire alarm. My husband says I was nuts. Could be just the nerves. (i was sure though) Nothing else happend the rest of the time but for me, I don't want to stay there again. Our friends were there at the same time and nothing happend to them. She would have loved it to. It is a very nice place.

UK
Level Contributor
1,016 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Bally's being haunted with ghosts

Mazda

If your experience at Bally's has intrigued you and made you wish to find out more, there is an excellent book called "The Day the MGM Grand Burned", by Deirdre Coakley and Hank Greenspun.

If you would like to find out more of what happened on that day, recollections from people who were actuallly trapped in the rooms (and rescued), and ma ny other startling facts about the fire and lack of safety facilities they had (at that time) in the hotel (some of it makes unbelievable reading) then I highly recommedn you read it. I have read it and some parts reduced me to tears, both of sadness and joy at some of the stories.

Personally I would not stay on the 23rd floor, as you say, that is where the majority of the victims perished and I am a believer so I don't think I could bring myself to stay on the higher floors.

Thankfully, fire regulations/fire safety is completely different now than it was at the old MGM Grand!!!

ohio
Level Contributor
2,525 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Bally's being haunted with ghosts

We've stayed at Bally's many times and never saw or heard a thing out of the ordinary.

On a side note~ we were at the original MGM a couple of month's before it burned down.

Such a horrible tragedy.

6. Re: Bally's being haunted with ghosts

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11:17 am, August 21, 2009