We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Taxis & Safety NYE

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
129 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
Taxis & Safety NYE

Are taxi's hard to get on NYE? Would it be safe for my husband and I to walk to Hampton Inn Tropicana after midnight? Or is it so busy that it will be safe? The hotel seems like a great deal as it includes breakfast and a shuttle to the airport for $340AUS for 2 nights but only worry is safety on NYE.

Thanks in advance :)

Special Offer
Grand Canyon All-American Helicopter...
6,704 Reviews
from $399.99*
$520.00
Special Offer
Grand Canyon West Rim and Hoover Dam...
5,203 Reviews
from $139.99*
$224.90
Grand Canyon 4-in-1 Helicopter Tour
926 Reviews
from $598.99*
Whitehorse, Canada
Level Contributor
1,916 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Taxis & Safety NYE

NYE is one of the biggest nights in LV. They close the strip for the Fireworks display. Moving from Point A to Point B...after the fireworks display is nearly impossible. Decide where you want to be around midnight and stay put. If you need to travel doing so on foot is probably the only way possible.

We are actually staying at the Mirage this year...we will go outside for the display and then back in for whatever else....

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
129 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Taxis & Safety NYE

Thanks for your reply.

I'm hoping the Nine Fine Irishmen (New York New York) will be holding they NYE event that in the past has been called NYE Bridge Bash. I had read on a vegas site that they will be. So my plan is to attend a ticketed event either there or somewhere else on the strip. I doubt we would be heading home before 2am. Do you still think it would be ok at that time?

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
493 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Taxis & Safety NYE

Vegas is safe at any time, especially as a group of people. Since it's NYE the party will just be getting started at 2am, you have nothing to worry about as there will be plenty of people around.

4. Re: Taxis & Safety NYE

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may repost if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 8:36 am, July 02, 2014
Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
493 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Taxis & Safety NYE

Comical that you assume I've just walked around the strip. I have never had any issues walking around any part of Vegas, yes the crime rate is high but what exactly is scary about a bunch of hookers at a gas station? Sounds like the poster above doesn't travel much outside of his comfort zone.

6. Re: Taxis & Safety NYE

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may repost if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 8:36 am, July 02, 2014
Edited: 8:36 am, July 02, 2014
San Francisco...
Level Contributor
29,807 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Taxis & Safety NYE

<<No Issues>>

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
493 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Taxis & Safety NYE

My parents live in Vegas but I'm not going to even justify more of a response, with a post count so high you must know everything about the city. OP should listen to Grandpa, you will likely be killed by the hookers at the Chevron so take a taxi if you want to make it out alive. Next time I go to score crack in North Vegas I will do a TR for GoodBear to let him know I made it out.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
29,807 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Taxis & Safety NYE

Just what I though, you know someone that lives there. Yeah, I know a little about the city.

Encinitas...
Level Contributor
742 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Taxis & Safety NYE

And remember it's cold at midnight at that time of year.