We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Valley of fire - what are the best spots to stop at?

Agawam...
Level Contributor
31 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Valley of fire - what are the best spots to stop at?

We are renting a car for one day during a 4 day trip to vegas in August. We are planning on getting the rental car first thing in the morning and then driving to the valley of fire. I looked at a map and there are a ton of things to see there, but we are also trying to make a stop at the hoover dam so we really only have about 3 hours to spend there at the park. Has anyone done this loop?(vegas->valley of fire->hoover dam -> back to vegas. Should we hit the hoover dam first and then go to the valley of fire.

If you had only 3 spots to see at the valley of fire - what would they be?

1. Re: Valley of fire - what are the best spots to stop at?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may repost if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 9:45 am, September 06, 2014
Edited: 9:45 am, September 06, 2014
Markham, Ontario...
Level Contributor
366 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Valley of fire - what are the best spots to stop at?

I haven't done them both in one day but getting to the Hoover Dam before the bus tours arrive (around ten I think) might be something to consider if you want to minimize crowds.

As for Valley of Fire, personally I think the whole place is amazing and you won't be disappointed in anything you see. If I go by what I took the most pictures of my favorite "marked" places would be Atlatl Rock, the Natural Arch, the Beehives and the White Domes. Of course I have hundreds of pictures of unnamed scenery which I think are amazing as well.

One thing to keep in mind is it will be scorching hot in August. I don't know if you will even want to get out of your car. I went in April so the weather was perfect and I took full advantage by doing miles of hiking and climbing. Make sure you bring plenty of water with you. There really isn't much opportunity to obtain any once you get near the park.

Mentioned in this post
Hoover Dam
Hoover Dam
7,996 Reviews
Boulder City, NV
Valley of Fire State Park
3,663 Reviews
Overton, NV
Agawam...
Level Contributor
31 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Valley of fire - what are the best spots to stop at?

Good point about the tour buses. the more that i am thinking about it i think the hoover dam should be our first stop, then maybe lunch around lake mead then off to the valley of fire. I know it will be hot as hell out there, but hopefully with a ton of water and an air conditioned car to jump in we will tolerate the weather. I am hoping that we might be able to see the sunset there, which i keep hearing is amazing.

Portland, Maine
Level Contributor
29 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Valley of fire - what are the best spots to stop at?

I go to the Valley of Fire on every trip to Vegas. It is an amazing place that is ever changing, depending upon the time of day and the season. I take a more scenic route, thus avoiding almost all of boring I-15. From the Strip, take I-15 north to Lake Mead Boulevard east to Northshore Road (NV 167) and then proceed north to the Valley of Fire exit--about 1 1/2 hours. You can get to Hoover Dam on the way back to Vegas. The Dam is interesting but I think that time is better spent experiencing the beauty of the Valley of Fire. I have been there a couple of times in August and the heat can be repressive, but it keeps the crowds down. Bring more water than you think that you will need as the Park has no facilities. Also, not too many places to eat in that part of the Lake Mead Park. Hope this helps.

Mentioned in this post
3,663 Reviews
Overton, NV
The Strip
The Strip
28,151 Reviews
Las Vegas, NV
Hoover Dam
Hoover Dam
7,996 Reviews
Boulder City, NV
5. Re: Valley of fire - what are the best spots to stop at?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, May 31, 2015
;