We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Did anyone ever see Johnny Carson's Vegas Nightclub Act?

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
390 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Did anyone ever see Johnny Carson's Vegas Nightclub Act?

Last evening I was reading Johnny Carson's ex-lawyer's (Bombastic Bushkin) new book which had a chapter on Carson and Vegas. Just wondering if any of the boards members actually got to see Mr. Carson's Vegas shows in person? And was wondering what the shows were like.

Special Offer
Las Vegas to Grand Canyon Helicopter...
6,705 Reviews
from $399.99*
$520.00
Special Offer
Grand Canyon, Hoover Dam from Las...
5,205 Reviews
from $139.99*
$224.90
Grand Canyon West Rim Helicopter and...
926 Reviews
from $598.99*
Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
130 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Did anyone ever see Johnny Carson's Vegas Nightclub Act?

I saw Carson many times. He did essentially a one hour monologue with the only difference from the Tonight Show is that it was bluer. But his persona never allowed the material to be offensive. He had some great female singers open the show for him like Kelly Garrett, Helen Schneider and Donna Theodore, all forgotten names but at the time, they were stars on the Cabaret circuit.

I do miss the Vegas headliner concept.

Sterling, Illinois
Level Contributor
2,647 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Did anyone ever see Johnny Carson's Vegas Nightclub Act?

Only the clips on YouTube, would have loved to have seen him in person.

Scottsdale, Arizona
Level Contributor
374 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Did anyone ever see Johnny Carson's Vegas Nightclub Act?

I'll stroll down memory lane. It was 1975. The main showroom of the Sahara. The maitre d' had a 2'x2' board with the names of those who called the box office for reservations. Folks who were being comped were written in red; those who would be paying in black. No assigned seating. A $10 tip/schmear and we

found ourselves ringside, right up against the stage.

Phyllis McGuire (of the McGuire Sisters and widely known even then as the girlfiend of Chicago's top mobster) opened for Carson. Carson, as he always did in his Vegas shows, came out in a tux. If you

enjoyed his Tonight show comedy, then you would enjoy his standup. He worked clean. The most risque thing I recall is a bit about his high school days going into a drugstore to ask the pharamacist for a condom.

Carson engaged with audience members throughout the act. Being ringside and wearing a Johnny Carson label suit ( a distinctive suit then and silly looking now), I was one of those he kidded with. I still recall part of the evening: Carson: How long have you been in town? Me: 7 nights. Carson: 7 nights! You're going to be dead. Nice suit to get buried in.

Carlsbad CA
Level Contributor
1,746 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Did anyone ever see Johnny Carson's Vegas Nightclub Act?

Saw Carson in Chicago around 1972 traveling with the Tonight Show band. He did stand up and some magic.

Kenosha, WI
Level Contributor
12,814 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Did anyone ever see Johnny Carson's Vegas Nightclub Act?

Shecky....that is an awesome story!!! Thanks for sharing! I remember growing up watching the Tonight Show, and would have loved to have seen him live. Always a class act!

There is a pretty good documentary about Johnny on Netflix, but I don't recall anything about a Vegas act in it. Guess I will have to watch it again.

not Pittsburgh
Level Contributor
390 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Did anyone ever see Johnny Carson's Vegas Nightclub Act?

Every time this subject comes up I kick myself because I never saw any of the acts in town when I was there in 74, 75, and 76. At the time I was only interested in Blackjack and booze.

Back then these were the people you saw on TV all of the time. Why waste 90 minutes listening to Elvis since the same old songs.

All of the Ratpack, Buddy Hackett, Redd Fox, Johnny Carson and etc.

OK, I'll admit it publicly, I was pretty shortsighted (read that as STUPID).

Laguna Niguel...
Level Contributor
34 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Did anyone ever see Johnny Carson's Vegas Nightclub Act?

I saw him in 1976 at Caesars Palace. He was very funny. It was my first Las Vegas show.

New York
Level Contributor
705 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Did anyone ever see Johnny Carson's Vegas Nightclub Act?

Thank you for sharing your stories miss the old vegas...

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
390 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Did anyone ever see Johnny Carson's Vegas Nightclub Act?

Thanks for the Carson memories. I started going to Vegas in the mid-eighties and Johnny had quit doing Vegas by then. In the 1980s, I just caught the tail end of the headliner era: Dean Martin, Frank Sinatra, Jerry Lewis, Sammy Davis, Redd Foxx. I never could talk myself into Wayne Newton or Tom Jones. Even though I was in my twenties at the time, I made a special effort to see these legends before they disappeared.

Now it seems most of Vegas showrooms are CDS. However the one thing I do like now is the assigned seating. It never felt right to me to buy the ticket and then have to bride your way into a good seat.

New York
Level Contributor
705 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Did anyone ever see Johnny Carson's Vegas Nightclub Act?

Tom Jones put on a great show at the Mgm