We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Drive to south rim Grand Canyon

Which Las Vegas hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
canada
Level Contributor
260 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Drive to south rim Grand Canyon

We are thinking of renting a car and drive to the Grand Canyon for the day. Has anyone done this and what tips would you have? We would also like to stop by the Hoover dam.

Encinitas...
Destination Expert
for Zion National Park, Joshua Tree National Park
Level Contributor
17,233 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Drive to south rim Grand Canyon

Leave early. Its close to 5 hours each way. Best to stay overnight.Any way to do that?

www.grandcanyonlodges.com

If you had more time and another day,you could run sections of Route 66. Matbe Kingman to Oatman.With as short a time you have planned, I would head to the GC right away to make the most of a day, then if you had time see things on the way back.While at Hoover do not miss the walk over the bypass bridge.

Along the way in Seligman is Delgadillos Snow Cap, which is worth a stop.

While in the GC be sure to head east to Desert View Tower and the other viewpoints out that way.

Edited: 11:25 pm, July 13, 2013
canada
Level Contributor
260 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Drive to south rim Grand Canyon

Thanks. This is just the kind of information we are looking for. Anywhere nice with views to eat?

Las Vegas, Nevada
Level Contributor
9,555 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Drive to south rim Grand Canyon

I agree with dez, if you can spare the time, do an overnight trip. Stay in one of the hotels or lodges within the Park. Be at the Park by mid-afternoon, so you can enjoy sunset, and be up early so you can enjoy sunrise.

Minnesota City...
Level Contributor
564 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Drive to south rim Grand Canyon

It can be accomplished. We were a party of two couples in September of 2011 vacationing in LV when we picked up our rental car at our LV hotel Sunday late afternoon, started early the next morning and drove to the South Rim. We stayed overnight in the park and returned to our hotel in Las Vegas on Tuesday afternoon. We made the most out of the 24 hours in the park, seeing both the sunset and sunrise and viewing the park horizontally, rather than doing any climbing. I scoured the posts in the top questions about LV on the front page of this forum and the Grand Canyon site prior to leaving from home for LV and detailed our trip in the same set of posts upon returning home. If you cannot find the type of accommodations inside the park that you want, call them each day for cancellations rather than just looking online. Glad we did our homework prior to the trip and it paid off to make the most of the little time we had as we had the rental car for only 48 hours. It was like two separate vacations in one. Have a great time whatever you decide to do.

Edited: 12:50 am, July 14, 2013
canada
Level Contributor
260 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Drive to south rim Grand Canyon

Unfort we are booked at the hotel. My friend doesn't mind driving I am beginning to think I planned this poorly. Is the drive that bad..

Muskegon, Michigan
Level Contributor
6,863 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Drive to south rim Grand Canyon

No, not at all. It's all highway, well marked. 5 hour drive from Vegas to the South Rim. If you want to do this as a day trip, the key is to leave Vegas early. Like 5-6 am early. You will pass Hoover Dam before getting on your way to the desert highway and GCNP.

Tyne and Wear...
Level Contributor
1,356 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Drive to south rim Grand Canyon

My other and I did this very trip last week, the drive was pretty much exclusively highway, and was 4.5hrs both ways, dead simple drive and really straight fwd, bang it on cruise control and just steer. I drove the whole way myself and it wasnt bad drive at all.

We did it in a day, set off about 7am, got there at 12:30, and got back to Vegas about 7pm, after spending some time at a couple of the lookout points (taking a lot of pics and drinking a lot of water!!) and having some time in the visitor center and shops there ... def dont need to stay overnight unless you want to spend time hiking or going to multiple (>3 lookout points).

Toronto, Canada
10 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Drive to south rim Grand Canyon

Definitely do it! Its doable in one day. I did it last summer, left Vegas around 10am, spent a few hours at the Canyon, and was back on the strip by 11pm

Ottawa
Level Contributor
979 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Drive to south rim Grand Canyon

gottogo, which part of Canada are you from? If you're coming from the East, then here's what I usually do when the Grand Canyon is on the list... Early in the trip wake up early -- since your body is on east coast time, you're likely up early anyways. So get up 5am or so, and drive to the Grand Canyon. You can then spend a few leisurely hours there, and easily back in time for dinner. With all the highway improvements in the past 5 years or so, it's closer to 4 hours than 5. This is an easy day trip -- but it's the whole day...

New Hampshire
Level Contributor
304 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Drive to south rim Grand Canyon

Leaving early from Vegas the sunrise over the mountains and desert can be beautiful while driving east, and, likewise, coming back to Vegas in the evening the sunset can be very nice and worth a stop and a picture. Kingman, AZ can be a convenient full-service stop for breakfast and/or dinner.

And you don't need to spend a night there to appreciate the GC.