We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

can you drink vegas tap water

San Francisco...
1 post
1 review
Save Topic
can you drink vegas tap water

Between 1951 and 92 there were 1,021 nuclear detonations at the Nevada Test Site, 65 miles from Vegas. 921 of the detonations were underground, some as deep as 5,000 feet. A large chamber was formed by the detonations, leaving a cavity filled with radioactive rubble. About a third of the tests were conducted directly in aquifers, and others were hundreds of thousands of feet below the water table. When testing ended in 1992, the Dept. of Energy estimated that more than 300 million curies of radiation remained in the environment at that time, making the site one of the most radioactively contaminated locations in the U.S. In the worst-affected zones, the concentration of radioactivity in affected groundwater reaches millions of picocuries per liter. (The federal standard for drinking water is 20 picocuries per liter.) Although radiation levels in the water continue to decline over time, the longer-lived isotopes could pose risks to workers or future settlers on the NNSS for tens of thousands of years. Other than that it seems Vegas tap water drinking supply should be perfectly fine to drink.

Mentioned in this post
Special Offer
Las Vegas to Grand Canyon Helicopter...
6,625 Reviews
from $399.99*
$520.00
Special Offer
Grand Canyon, Hoover Dam from Las...
5,110 Reviews
from $142.99*
$224.90
Special Offer
Grand Canyon Skywalk Skip-the-Line...
403 Reviews
from $529.99*
$541.00
Special Offer
Grand Canyon West Rim Helicopter and...
915 Reviews
from $598.99*
$650.00
albuquerque
Level Contributor
2,803 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: can you drink vegas tap water

it's not just happening over there! google the water contamination from Kirtland airforce base here in Albuquerque, google Lukes airforce base in Arizona, it's happening all over the place. However I will say I cannot stand the drinking water in Vegas, compared to here at home, although we have a water service we deal with, and with times from being without it, we've always used a filter for our water, that comes out of the fridge.

Mentioned in this post
Albuquerque
Albuquerque
New Mexico
Arizona
Arizona
United States
Wisconsin
Level Contributor
5,119 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: can you drink vegas tap water

Apart from tasting a little off, Vegas water is fine. It comes from the Colorado River, via Lake Mead. It is not coming from groundwater.

I live in a city with a radium problem with the drinking water, which is certainly far worse than any slight issues with water coming from a river many miles from detonations years removed.

Edited: 1:38 am, July 08, 2013
Mentioned in this post
Plymouth, United...
Level Contributor
460 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: can you drink vegas tap water

i live in an area built on granite and we have great water but, huge Radon issues..i worry more about what the billions of carp in lake mead are doing than any Tritiated water in the taps in in Vegas..

Mentioned in this post
Las Vegas, Nevada
5 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: can you drink vegas tap water

NO!!! Dont drink it-- it comes from lake mead-- and lake mead is where our waste water( after its "treated") goes to via a wash-- in this wash are carp and other fish and the male fish have female organs now-- that's how dirty the treated water still is going back into the lake. I saw someone from the Vegas valley water district on the morning news a couple of years ago advising not to drink tap water

Mentioned in this post
Las Vegas, Nevada
Level Contributor
1,780 posts
125 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: can you drink vegas tap water

I live at Lake Mead and we don't recommend the tap water. We either treat it or buy it. It's sad. Tap water smells of sulfur and has lots of particulates.

Vegas tap water in my experience also smells of sulfur but I don't bring my testing kit everywhere either.

Mentioned in this post
Mullica Hill, New...
Level Contributor
7,591 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: can you drink vegas tap water

The water is fine. Millions go to Vegas yearly; hundreds of thousands live there. If there was an issue with the water, we'd know it.

Mentioned in this post
Las Vegas, Nevada
Level Contributor
1,780 posts
125 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: can you drink vegas tap water

I've known 2 people to have become ill from long-term use from the water (both local).

Maybe it depends where you live, but we avoid the tap water for a reason. We don't even give it to our pets.

Tap water should not smell like Sulphur Cauldron in Yellowstone.

Kansas City
Level Contributor
396 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: can you drink vegas tap water

We don't drink it either, the hotels have issues with their sewer at times and just don't feel its safe to drink in quantity. We do brush our teeth,shower etc, but have had issues with back up sewer smells in all of the hotels, even the best hotels in the city. With all of the visitors and bathrooms in the city is probably inevitable but just to be safe I wouldn't consume it just because of this reason.

North Carolina
Level Contributor
1,675 posts
345 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: can you drink vegas tap water

I only use it to brush my teeth. I figure there won't be any problems with it. It tastes terrible. I wouldn't want to drink it for that reason alone.

Here's their 2013 water quality report:

[PDF]2013 LVVWD Water Quality Report - Las Vegas Valley Water District

www.lvvwd.com/assets/pdf/wqreport.pdf

Drinking Water Act: your tap water. the Las Vegas Valley water District runs hundreds of thousands of water-quality analyses each year, and we encourage you ...

Mentioned in this post
Kearney, Nebraska
Level Contributor
456 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: can you drink vegas tap water

Just look at some of the weird characters on the strip and fremont street. They used to be normal looking people. I very seldom drink water when in Vegas but when I do I only drink bottled water bought from vendors on the bridges.

Mentioned in this post