We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Proper Video Poker play?

Level Contributor
2,053 posts
Proper Video Poker play?

I keep reading about "Proper Video Poker Play". The way I play is generally if I have a hand that will pay on the flop, I keep it and try to improve. So if I flop a pair that pays, I'll try and go for a full house or four of a kind. I figure that is one spin attempt at the Royal that I at least broke even on that gives me another spin at the Royal on the flop or at least something close. So if I am playing jacks or better and I get Aces...I won't dump an Ace in hopes of a Royal unless it happens to be Ace Ace, and something like same suit King and Queen. I try to go for the Royal only when I have at least three suitted cards to a Royal. Is this wrong? I know Jacks or better might be the wrong game to be playing as well, but I don't do much VP overall.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas
Level Contributor
15,865 posts
8 reviews
1. Re: Proper Video Poker play?

wizardofodds.com/games/…

The strategy for JoB can be simplified without losing much in terms of expected loss, so it's not a bad game to start with. VP is a game (unlike slots) that really benefits from playing the correct strategy, to help your bankroll last longer, giving you a greater chance of pulling the royal flush.

California
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas
Level Contributor
45,807 posts
3 reviews
2. Re: Proper Video Poker play?

You are correct. When you see all the payback %, those are taking into account all of the paybacks for hands that aren't the Royal Flush. That's one of the reasons that it's so hard to get a RF, because many hands you are not even drawing for it.

Virginia
Level Contributor
1,580 posts
34 reviews
3. Re: Proper Video Poker play?

JoB is the best VP to play in terms of low variance. The swings in your bankroll won't be huge.

Philadelphia
Level Contributor
8,327 posts
4. Re: Proper Video Poker play?

Video Poker and poker are two completely different games. If you play it like poker you're giving away far too much. Learn the correct strategy for the game(s) you want to play and stick to it. In JoB you'd dump three to a royal for the following paying hands:

Dealt flush

3 of a kind

Dealt straight

4 to a straight flush

Two pair

High pair

Edited: 4:01 pm, June 10, 2013
Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
697 posts
5. Re: Proper Video Poker play?

It is called ' optimum strategy' .. It is the series of plays that , over time, will theoretically produce the best overall outcomes in winning. You have been steered to a great resource with the Wiz.

O/S is not however the strategy that give you the best chance of winning something on the current hand though, it optimizes your chances at winning the most possible money over time.

Optimum strategy also should include a bourbon on the rocks in the left hand and perhaps a cigar.

Level Contributor
2,053 posts
6. Re: Proper Video Poker play?

Awesome, thanks for the tips. Bourbon on the rocks and a stogey...got it.

Rockwall, Texas
Level Contributor
5,991 posts
38 reviews
7. Re: Proper Video Poker play?

Can a person use notes when playing Video Poker? are there cards like there are for Black Jack? would it be illegal to use an app when playing video poker (I would think it would be if there was one made)

Lansing, Michigan
Level Contributor
1,144 posts
6 reviews
8. Re: Proper Video Poker play?

Absolutely you can use notes! Check out "WizardofOdds" website to learn how to play proper VP. He may even have some strategy cards you can print off or buy.

Rockwall, Texas
Level Contributor
5,991 posts
38 reviews
9. Re: Proper Video Poker play?

Thanks Kimmy

calleefoneeya
Level Contributor
3,983 posts
28 reviews
10. Re: Proper Video Poker play?

There are slightly different strategies for different variants of the game as well. For example, in double double bonus--my favorite game, your two pair returns your bet, same as one pair. So if I have a pair of faces, or especially a pair of aces, with a pair of 2s through 10s, I'll hold the paying pair of Js through As, and throw the other pair back. I haven't practiced on a site telling me optimal strategy for a while, but I think that's right. If not, well, it works for me.