We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Transportation from LAS to Golden Nugget?

Which Las Vegas hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
8 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
Transportation from LAS to Golden Nugget?

I saw on another board people referencing the "WAX" as a possible inexpensive alternate to taking a taxi to the downtown area from the airport? Googling indicates that this is possibly the subway or bus service? I'd love any tips anyone has for how to find it & making sure you get on the right one? I've never flown into Vegas, but have only driven there from AZ. Looking for any tips you can provide to save a little cash on getting to the hotel! Thanks!!

Stevenage, United...
Level Contributor
1,935 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Transportation from LAS to Golden Nugget?

The Westcliff Express Bus (WAX, rtcsnv.com). $2 each. From Terminal One Level Zero Bay 23, video on rtcsnv. About 1 per hour sometimes 2. 2 or 3 blocks from Downtown 4th st. stop to GN.

Buses 108 and 109 (Northbound) go to Bonneville Transit center are more often and that would put you 5 blocks from GN. See Google maps, shows blue bus stop symbols. .

The WAX bus to the airport is across the street from GN next to Binions.

I will be using the WAX next week to go from NYNY to the D, one block from the Downtown stop.

Las Vegas, Nevada
Level Contributor
9,455 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Transportation from LAS to Golden Nugget?

WAX is one of the Vegas bus routes. We don't have subways here. the WAX is an express bus, with very few stops along the way.

You can take the WAX from the airport; there is a bus stop right at the airport. The WAX will take you downtown, and you get off at 4th and Carson, about two blocks from the GN. No transfers to complicate the ride. And you get to ride up the Strip and see the sights along the journey.

You can also take a shuttle from the airport to downtown, but the WAX will be cheaper.

Stevenage, United...
Level Contributor
1,935 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Transportation from LAS to Golden Nugget?

You will see the corner with MGM, NYNY and Trop but the WAX does not go down the strip. It goes on the freeway to Premium outlets then Bonneville then Downtown (Then Suncoast, which I shall also go next week).

U.S.A.
Level Contributor
140 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Transportation from LAS to Golden Nugget?

The WAX bus does not go on the strip.

Las Vegas, Nevada
Level Contributor
4,345 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Transportation from LAS to Golden Nugget?

Make sure you know what terminal you arrive at the airport. The buses arrive at Terminal 1. If you fly into Terminal 3 that means you have to also take a shuttle to Terminal 1 in order to catch a bus.

If the timing is right WAX is awesome - waiting an hour combined with a shuttle may not be worth it for most of us.

Stevenage, United...
Level Contributor
1,935 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Transportation from LAS to Golden Nugget?

Good if you are staying at MGM or NYNY, they both have stops. I used to take my wheeled suitcase across the car park at the back of NYNY to MC but that is closed now for the building of the park. Also I took the tram to Man Bay after getting off at NYNY. .

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
8 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Transportation from LAS to Golden Nugget?

Thank you! It looks like we fly into terminal 3 (Sun Country) so it might not be the best option. Leaning towards using a cab, and hoping we don't get ripped off!

Las Vegas, Nevada
Level Contributor
5 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Transportation from LAS to Golden Nugget?

Tips for getting a cab in Vegas:

●When you get in the cab from McCarran tell the driver you don't want to take the tunnel or freeway. You can simply say that you prefer seeing the sites of Las Vegas.

●Ask the cab driver to take Paradise Road. Paradise runs parallel to The Strip and is usually less congested.

●When you get in the cab ask how much the fare should be. This locks the driver to an approximate price range so they shouldn't be able to long haul you. Here's a list of approximately how much a cab ride from McCarran Airport should cost to Vegas hotels.

●Whether you've been to Vegas before or not, just act like you've a regular visitor. If you sound like you know what you're talking about, you're less likely to be long hauled.

●The faster route may be the long-hauliest route. It may cost you $10 or $15 to save five minutes to your hotel. If the time saved doesn't matter... have a good time! If you don't want to pay the higher cab fee, just tell the cab driver you don't mind taking a longer route if asked.

Here is a link to the full article:

http://www.vegaschatter.com/story/2013/4/29/133619/220/vegas-travel/Still+Being+Taken+For+A+Ride+By+Some+Vegas+Cab+Drivers

Full disclosure: I work for a can company here (we're the largest in the state) and long hauling is something that will get a driver terminated. Good luck.

Fort Lauderdale...
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale
Level Contributor
38,771 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Transportation from LAS to Golden Nugget?

I believe there is free shuttle run by the Airport from T-3 to T-1 and it happens to offload close enough to the airport's WAX bus stop that we could see people getting off it when we were waiting for the WAX- it is used to transport folks from one terminal to the other but the WAX stop is right near the entrance they use into T1, so if you want to use WAX to the Nugget and are arriving in T-3 , you can get to the stop. It's about a 2 block walk west from the Downtown WAX stop ( at Walgreens) to the GN entrance, so as long as you are able to tote everything it's a great solution- and coming back the pick up spot for WAX is right across Fremont near Binions.

Fort Lauderdale...
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale
Level Contributor
38,771 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Transportation from LAS to Golden Nugget?

https:/…Inter-TerminalShuttle.aspx