We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hoover Dam Kayaking

Yorkshire
Level Contributor
16 posts
40 reviews
Hoover Dam Kayaking

Thinking of booking a Kayak tour of Hoover dam, Colorado river etc. Looked at 'Evolution Expeditions', anyone used them ? We aren't expert kayakers, we just want a nice relaxed paddle with some great sights which Evolution seem to cater for (not too sure about the rock jumping part)

Encinitas...
Destination Expert
for Zion National Park, Joshua Tree National Park
Level Contributor
19,181 posts
15 reviews
1. Re: Hoover Dam Kayaking

That is a great trip thru Black Canyon.I would opt for an all day tour that ends at Willow Beach, so you could see Sauna Cave , the Hotsprings, catwalks and gauging station.

I have my own kayak, so never use a tour,but those look pretty good.

We always paddle up from Willow Beach to avoid the permitting for the dam. Pics of the trip.

https:/…

You end up at Willow.

https:/…

Edited: 11:24 am, May 11, 2013
Las Vegas, Nevada
Level Contributor
1,782 posts
124 reviews
2. Re: Hoover Dam Kayaking

I know them well, they're a good company. I see them daily at Willow Beach and customers are always happy.

I don't really recommend rock jumping, but people do it. Just know it's incredibly difficult to do rescues in the black canyon and emergency response is often delayed.

Las Vegas, Nevada
Level Contributor
1,782 posts
124 reviews
3. Re: Hoover Dam Kayaking

Oh. Also, the temperature of the water is around 48-52 degrees. It's breathtakingly cold, literally. Keep your lifejacket on if you do decide to play in the water (plus it's a requirement on this stretch while in a paddlecraft).

Greater London...
Level Contributor
140 posts
47 reviews
4. Re: Hoover Dam Kayaking

Did the full day Hoover dam tour with evolution last September. Was the highlight of out trip.

A full 12 hours door to door but the paddling was very relaxing. Got to jump in hot springs, visit the sauna cave, the emerald grotto and cliff jump too.

The river was very cold but refreshing. Only downer was that I completely messed up my cliff jump ( was the on,y one if the 5 in that group to try) and bruised my a$$ so badly that it was black and blue for the next week.

Cannot recommend them enough. Lovely guys, a really pro outfit and such a great break from the chaos of vegas.

Copenhagen, Denmark
Level Contributor
109 posts
27 reviews
5. Re: Hoover Dam Kayaking

Me and my girlfriend did the Hoover Dam tour last July.

It was definitely a great experience, and very beautiful as well.

We enjoyed the hot springs and Sauna Cave (just be aware that if you suffer from claustrophobia then I wouldn't recommend doing that part of the tour. You're basically in a cave that is constantly at 120 degrees and 100% humidity, and waist deep in water in a pitch black cave, where you have to feel your way forward)

I did it, and I didn't feel great, and I don't even suffer from claustrophobia. But that could also be because I hadn't had any breakfast so the heat and humidity got to me quickly.

We didn't do any rock jumping. Don't think our guide even mentioned that as a possibility.

But considering how cold the water is I don't think I would do it anyway.

There is some rock scrambling ,though, to get up to the hot springs.

One thing to decide is if you're up for an 11 mile trip. Once you're out there you kinda have to commit to doing it, as you can't get out of the water before Willow Beach.

By the end of our trip we really wanted to get out of the kayak. Of course we also had a strong head wind which meant we were going really slow.

As I said we really enjoyed our trip, and i would recommend you try it, but once was enough for us.

Would say, though, that Evolution Expedition is a class company, so you shouldn't have any worries booking a trip with them.

We are not experienced kayakers, but the guide took it slow and let us do it at our own pace. It of course helped that we were the only two people on the tour as well.

6. Re: Hoover Dam Kayaking

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:18 am, May 15, 2014