We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Helicoper landing in Grand Canyon -need help (with booking)

ct
Level Contributor
5 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Helicoper landing in Grand Canyon -need help (with booking)

Hello Everyone

I am planning on doing a helicopter tour w/ landing at the Grand Canyon in April 2013. There are many booking companies with a variety of prices on all sites. Where can the best deal be found and which "landing" helicopter is recommended? Thanks in advance.

Boston
Level Contributor
24,479 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Helicoper landing in Grand Canyon -need help (with booking)

Are we to assume your taking a tour to the South Rim from LV?

If you are then you must know that NO helicopter tour is Available from LV, you have to take a small aircraft to the South Rim then you can take a tour by heli of the canyon.

ct
Level Contributor
5 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Helicoper landing in Grand Canyon -need help (with booking)

I am travelling from LV but I don't have any interest in doing the Skywalk . I am looking at the 4 hour total flight/transportation tours that are offered. I do believe some helicopters do leave from LV, unless I am mistaken. Thank you

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas, Washington DC, County Donegal, Western Ireland
Level Contributor
52,355 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Helicoper landing in Grand Canyon -need help (with booking)

If they're leaving from Las Vegas, they are not going to the Grand Canyon, but rather to the inferior "West Rim" tourist trap. Make sure you know where you're going if you're going to pay big bucks to go.

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
664 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Helicoper landing in Grand Canyon -need help (with booking)

I did a flight/helicopter/ground tour with Maverick 2 years ago and it was amazing, expensive but amazing and IMO worth every penny.

This is the tour: maverickhelicopter.com/tour-grand-canyon-dre…

It was nice being able to see both the canyon from many angles, as well as walking through the historic lodges and then walking along the rim. I had previously visited the Grand Canyon but the flight and helicopter tour really takes it to another level.

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
52,649 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Helicoper landing in Grand Canyon -need help (with booking)

>>>If they're leaving from Las Vegas, they are not going to the Grand Canyon<<<

To be correct they are going to the Grand Canyon, just a vastly inferior section of it that is outside the national park, they are not going to Grand Canyon National Park, which is what everyone thinks of when talking of the GC and when they see pictures of.

Teddy do not be fooled by tours that say you are going to "the Grand Canyon", the so called West Rim is not what anyone thinks of as the Grand Canyon.

I would go to the Grand Canyon National Park forum and ask questions there.

tripadvisor.com/ShowForum-g143028-i157-Grand…

Maryland
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
52,355 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Helicoper landing in Grand Canyon -need help (with booking)

I always defer to the New York Times on this one:

"To be frank, even the stunning view off the Hualapai ledge does not hold up to a comparison with the south or north rims, which are controlled by the National Park Service. The stone eagle, like the Skywalk itself, does not actually hover over the Grand Canyon but over a subsidiary tributary canyon. "

nytimes.com/2007/…

Silver Spring...
Level Contributor
1,810 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Helicoper landing in Grand Canyon -need help (with booking)

The New York Times is frequently correct, but is suspect when describing details of any destination. A better source is the GCNP government website itself, which states that Grand Canyon West is "a site at the far western end of Grand Canyon."

Toronto, ON
Level Contributor
65 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Helicoper landing in Grand Canyon -need help (with booking)

I know what people are saying, what you see from the Vegas heli drop-in isn't close to other places. I've seen the canyon from every rim/side.

However, the helicopter picnic lunch inside the canyon is still amazing, to me at least. I'd never seen the canyon at all before that and we took another couple for their anniversary. I've sent 8 people since. If you only want to use half a day (4 hours) it's perfect.

www.papillon.com/popris/show_package.aspx…

This is who I've used. Hotel pick-up/drop-off included.

Maryland
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
52,355 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Helicoper landing in Grand Canyon -need help (with booking)

" A better source is the GCNP government website itself, which states that Grand Canyon West is "a site at the far western end of Grand Canyon."

So it's a choice of believing the government or the media? Flip a coin. :)

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
52,649 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Helicoper landing in Grand Canyon -need help (with booking)

A better source is the GCNP government website itself, which states that Grand Canyon West is "a site that we have no opinion on due to sequester cuts".