We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Craps Strategy?

Which Las Vegas hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Texas
Level Contributor
37 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Craps Strategy?

There's never one that is full proof. You can always get on a bad run and go broke quickly! But what's your favorite strategy to maximize playing time and minimize losses? I think mine when I go is going to be basic strategy of pass line with odds and no more than 2 come bets!

jnick422
Level Contributor
72 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Craps Strategy?

You can stay alive for a long, long time with pass line bet plus some odds. Be careful with adding in the come bets too quickly. While statistically better than placing numbers (say the 6 and 8) you will greatly increase your varience if you take more than double odds - so 2 or 3 bad rolls in a row could be really costly in tearms of bankroll.

I like one pass line bet with a place bet on the 'point side' to stay alive. Only adding in more bets if the shooter makes a couple of points.

Level Contributor
1,392 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Craps Strategy?

That strategy is typically agreed to lose the least amount over the long term and is one I use. However, any craps player knows that individual sessions can have quick wins or losses. That's why bankroll size and management are so important.

Illinois
Level Contributor
53 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Craps Strategy?

My strategey is usually pass line w/odds and two numbers (6 and 8 usually). If the table is hot, I'll make some come bets with odds and/or place some hardways bets. Not much more than that usually though.

Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Atlantic City
Level Contributor
4,765 posts
334 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Craps Strategy?

My strategy.....Always take/buy the full odds!

Cleveland, Ohio
Level Contributor
460 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Craps Strategy?

I'm pretty conservative... I play table min on pass line, max odds, and place 6 & 8. If the point is a 6 or 8, I don't place any other numbers. I press my place bets every other roll, and take it down after the 5th if it goes that far. If table gets hot, ill get 2 come bets working at a time, with no more than 2x odds.

Sacramento...
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas
Level Contributor
3,721 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Craps Strategy?

If you're really good with numbers (and really good at watching your bets), there are quite a few strategies which hedge so many bets against so many others that you can essentially guarantee yourself a win if you've gotten past 4-5 rolls without striking out. Entire books are written on these, so it's tough to summarize in a little post on TA. Biggest issue with them is that you have to keep an eye on what you're doing, since you'll have a lot of money on the table.

If I'm having a few drinks and playing to relax, I'll typically just make a pass bet with a comfortable amount of odds, second roll will be a come bet with odds, and third roll is a don't come bet with odds. After that, there's no real strategy involved -- I play based on the numbers that have been rolled so far (with regards to placing numbers, etc). Once I exceed about $150 on the table at any given time, I generally start hedging bets, mainly so that I don't risk my entire bankroll on one bad roll. If my Don't bet ends up on a 6 or 8, I'll place a hardway bet on that number for enough to cover it if it fails; if I've got large bets on the 5, 6, and 8, I'll play the field a few times; etc.

My goal in Craps is always to get to a point where there is no way to lose what I've got on the table, regardless of the dice roll. Sometimes you forget to cover a number, and that sucks, but that's part of the game!

OC
Level Contributor
61 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Craps Strategy?

Zeromus you seem like a craps pro haha. We need to learn from u.

I actually learned crabs last trip at Cosmo and it wasn't pretty...but I got better as the trip progressed. Basic strategy as others have stated, pass line, free odds, then place bet.

Btw would someone clarify what is come bet?

Level Contributor
1,392 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Craps Strategy?

A come bet is just like another pass line bet. When you first put it in the come box, it wins on an initial roll of 7 or 11 and loses on 2,3 or 12. Any other number the dealer will move your bet to that number and it essentially becomes another point. Always take the odds on your come bets just as you would on your pass bets.

Omaha, Nebraska
Level Contributor
1,586 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Craps Strategy?

Take the free odds, 0 house advantage. Bet minimums on the pass bet and follow it up with the house max.

Bankroll is key as if you win you win big and if you lose...

scranton
Level Contributor
77 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Craps Strategy?

As mentioned by a few you must take adavange of the odds on the pass line. I also like to play to place the 6 & 8, but I stay away from the come bet unless the table is on fire. I would rather hit a place bet, then wait for the come bet number to re rolled twice before getting paid. That's just my opinion.