We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Credit cards for incidentals?

Level Contributor
63 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Credit cards for incidentals?

Hello!

Im going to vegas next july and have heard people mention that they were asked for a credit card for incidentals when they checked in. Is this the case for everyone/check-in. Only asking because i dont have a credit card (nor much spare spending money if they wany cash instead). The hotel is already paid for- if that makes any difference.

Thank you in advance for any help.

Special Offer
Grand Canyon All-American Helicopter...
6,707 Reviews
from $399.99*
$520.00
Special Offer
Grand Canyon West Rim and Hoover Dam...
5,217 Reviews
from $139.99*
$224.90
Grand Canyon 4-in-1 Helicopter Tour
927 Reviews
from $598.99*
Manchester, England
Level Contributor
1,267 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Credit cards for incidentals?

Hi

You really need to check with your hotel, as they all have different policies.

If they don't require a credit card at checkin, it just means you won't beable to charge anything to your room.

I would recommend you get a credit card to take with you just in case of any emergencies

Iowa
Level Contributor
10,474 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Credit cards for incidentals?

What hotel are you staying at? Many require a credit card. Some do not require a card but require a cash deposit. You can try emailing the hotel and ask them.

Edited: 2:01 pm, December 21, 2012
Kitchener Ontario...
Level Contributor
1,610 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Credit cards for incidentals?

I have stayed at 4 different MGM properties and did not leave a deposit at any.

Mirage/Aria/Luxor/Mandalay Bay. However I was told if you are going to be in a higher end suite then you would require a hold. I confirmed the Mirage the other day regarding a Tower suite and it is $100 per day. However if you are going to Vegas and do not have even spare money for a deposit Vegas might not be for you.

Level Contributor
63 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Credit cards for incidentals?

Thank u for your help! We're staying at the MGM. I know i really should get one but im awful with money so know i'd just blow the money- just finished being a student!! Lol. I'll e-mail mgm and see what they say- i didnt know if it was a common rule or not. Thank you again!

Tempe, AZ
Level Contributor
11,756 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Credit cards for incidentals?

You can decline incidentals at MGM and they will not charge you.

California
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas
Level Contributor
45,463 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Credit cards for incidentals?

If your package includes any additions, such as a dining credit or resort credit, the only way you can receive this is by authorizing room charges. If you have a $50 dining credit, they don't give you a slip to give to the restaurant,. You have to charge the entire dining bill to your room and then the credit is applied.

So for that reason, you might want to obtain a debit or credit card.

Level Contributor
63 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Credit cards for incidentals?

Cheers, hopefully thats the case then. We did upgrade but not to anything high end. Also- just a normal pacakge holiday with no dining credit etc. Fyi we are of course taking plenty of spending money (for a non-gambling couple) but we're putting in a lot of extra hours to be able to have enough- dont really fancy having a few hundred dollars kept from me till the end of my holiday. This will be our first big holiday in a while so investing a lot into it. Thanks for aldvice! P.s i do have a debit card- just not a credit card!

Edited: 3:36 pm, December 21, 2012
buffalo
Level Contributor
213 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Credit cards for incidentals?

I stay at the mirage and usually have 3 of my 4 nite stay comped and im usually charged 300.00 for incedentials I put it on my debit card though it usually only takes 1 or 2 days to be put back after my stay.

9. Re: Credit cards for incidentals?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, December 23, 2013