We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

NYNY Roller Coaster

Columbus, Ohio
Level Contributor
249 posts
1 review
Save Topic
NYNY Roller Coaster

Quick question. A group of us are heading out to Vegas next month and some of us are looking forward to riding the coaster at NYNY. My brother is a big dude with a gut on him. (about 300 lbs, I think).

For anyone that's ridden the coaster, do you think that he's going to have an issue? If so, I'm sure that he'd rather not walk up there with us and be told before it takes off that he can't go. You know what I mean. Just trying to be a little delicate.

Thanks!

Special Offer
Grand Canyon All-American Helicopter...
6,689 Reviews
from $399.99*
$520.00
Special Offer
Grand Canyon West Rim and Hoover Dam...
5,186 Reviews
from $139.99*
$224.90
Grand Canyon 4-in-1 Helicopter Tour
923 Reviews
from $598.99*
England
Level Contributor
1,911 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: NYNY Roller Coaster

Not sure about the weight, but I have to say that the NYNY coaster was the worst I have ever been on. Love coasters, but this one is very tough on the old back and neck and not very smooth at all. Came off regretting ever parking my backside in the carriage. Not recommended!

Roswell, New Mexico
Level Contributor
2,737 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: NYNY Roller Coaster

I have a friend who is fluffy and she rode the coaster, she is around 250lbs.

England, United...
Level Contributor
4,019 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: NYNY Roller Coaster

Agree with GARSON51 re the ride quality - very jerky.

Re the weight issue, the website only refers to a height restriction but obviously there must be a point at which someone would be too big to ride and I'd guess that point would be if they're unable to bring the restraining bar down over their head into the locking position.

Has your brother had such an issue with other coasters? Otherwise probably best to contact NYNY on this one.

ENGLAND
Level Contributor
1,706 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: NYNY Roller Coaster

I have ridden it a few times over the years. Last time was this past May, and that will be my last.

Its overpriced, short and just not that much fun.

Dont know what the weight limit is because I have never seen it advertised anywhere.

Columbus, Ohio
Level Contributor
249 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: NYNY Roller Coaster

Cool, thanks, guys. If its just a shoulder restraint, I can't see him having an issue. (And I've seen that the reviews aren't that great. But some want to do it anyway. Hard to put my foot down on a three minute coaster ride if someone really has their heart set on it. So we'll give it a go.)

Dallas
Level Contributor
484 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: NYNY Roller Coaster

I am over 6' tall and about 250 lbs, with more overhang on my belly than I want. That being said I rode it and it was a very tight fit. If I were a little more rounder I don't think the bar that keeps you in your seat would have locked in place.

As others have said it is a bumpy ride, I kept my head and back pressed hard against the seat to avoid sudden jerks and finished the ride pain free. It was fun.

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
2,177 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: NYNY Roller Coaster

I felt like I had been in a car wreck afterwards. Desperado in Primm is a good one though. Too bad Speed closed down. It was good too.

London, United...
Level Contributor
247 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: NYNY Roller Coaster

It may be a bit of a bone shaker, but it's flipping fantastic to be on a coaster heading around the outside of a hotel on the strip. Certainly don't let bad reviews put you off.

Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: NYNY Roller Coaster

I'll second the car wreck feeling. Although I could bear it and I enjoyed the different views of the strip, my wife hated it and swore to never return.

Prescot, United...
Level Contributor
2,094 posts
292 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: NYNY Roller Coaster

My husband is the same build as your brother and he managed to ride it. He too was bothered that he may not fit but decided to give it a try as our son really wanted some company on this ride and I chickened out!

He said it was tight and the guy operating it explained the harness had to click a certain amount of times so it was safe. My husband struggled with this due to his chest size, but it did close effectively and he rode it no problem in the end.

This is a sensitive issue and you are right to do your homework first. He says the operators were professional and once the harness was fastened they gave him the oportunity to disembark if he thought the harness was too uncomfortable. Hubbie said it was tight but bearable, and he is 320lb. He feels that he was right on the limit and any heavier it would not have fastened

Hope this helps and have fun with or without the rollercoaster

Lynne