We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

fall foliage around Las Vegas?

The Netherlands
Level Contributor
338 posts
Save Topic
fall foliage around Las Vegas?

We will be in LV from 6 - 22 october. We have been before but always in july or december, so never in fall. I realise LV is in the desert, but I am wondering if nevertheless there are places around LV were we can enjoy fall foliage on daytrips? I am not sure if this is a stupid question for Americans, but I really have no idea. We have a car and also go for an overnight stay at the Grand Canyon, south rim, too. Maybe there are special places to see fall foliage on that route? Or maybe more close to LV? Or is it only at the east coast?

Irvine, California
Level Contributor
33,862 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: fall foliage around Las Vegas?

The vegetation found in desert regions consists of hardy species such as cacti that don't have foliage as such so to the best of my knowledge, you're going to be out of luck. If you were visiting in the spring you would probably enjoy checking out the very short wildflower season at Death Valley but at this time of year, not a great deal to see that I'm aware of but locals may know better.

If nature is your thing however, you may look at visiting Springs Preserve while you're in Vegas. There's some pretty interesting stuff there.

http://www.springspreserve.org/index.html

Edited: 5:31 am, September 09, 2012
Silver Spring...
Level Contributor
1,828 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: fall foliage around Las Vegas?

As blagger notes, that's going to be difficult to find. There are a few deciduous trees (aspens?) at higher elevations in the Mount Charleston area, but even there most trees are evergreen, and there's not much of a show: …comcast.net/%7Elgott3141/LasVegas_2005Septe… . Other than that, nothing close to Las Vegas comes to mind.

Las Vegas, Nevada
Level Contributor
1,498 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: fall foliage around Las Vegas?

Me thinks you have Las Vegas confused with Burlington VT.

Edited: 12:10 pm, September 09, 2012
Stevenage, United...
Level Contributor
1,935 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: fall foliage around Las Vegas?

You may find some fall colours in Utah taking the I-15 north-east. Cedar Breaks comes to mind (and Snow Valley?). May be a longish day. Or Hidden Forest.

Las Vegas, Nevada
Level Contributor
9,793 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: fall foliage around Las Vegas?

Not a stupid question, just the wrong part of the country for any wonderful falll foliage. On the trees that have leaves, the leaves pretty much turn brown and fall off. No glorious foliage of yellows, reds and oranges.

Oceanside...
Level Contributor
1,561 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: fall foliage around Las Vegas?

The closest place to Vegas where you might see the leaves turning in the fall would be in the snowbowl area near Flagstaff, AZ.

7. Re: fall foliage around Las Vegas?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:18 am, September 11, 2013