We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

you are all scaring me away from MGM... - should i change?

Which Las Vegas hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Baltimore, Maryland
Level Contributor
1,548 posts
366 reviews
Save Topic
you are all scaring me away from MGM... - should i change?

i'm 34 taking my 21 year old sis to mgm grand/west wing for 4 nights in late july. i was excited about the choice after debating flamingo, monte carlo, bellagio,etc. now i'm scared! what should i do? should i try to get a better rate elsewhere and then cancel? i feel like no matter what hotel i pick, 50% will say it is awful and 50% will say go, except caesar's which would be 1000 bucks for 4 nights. i got 4 nights at mgm for 422.

Level Contributor
70 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: you are all scaring me away from MGM... - should i change?

I am a big MGM fan. I also happen to be a very particular customer. Read my other post in KBEll's MGM question. I have never stayed in the west wing. But have stay in all of the other types of rooms and suites they have to offer. I think that you will love it there. Paticularly in your age group. The lounges and late night is great. The crowd is mainly in your age group. What are your concerns? Maybe I can help answer them.

Spring Valley, CA
Level Contributor
602 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: you are all scaring me away from MGM... - should i change?

Don't worry too much, you will have a great trip. It is a big property but you are young enough to be able to handle the distances; if you were eighty with a walker it might be more difficult to negotiate. You got a great price for this property, less than I paid for the Flamingo last year.

Baltimore, Maryland
Level Contributor
1,548 posts
366 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: you are all scaring me away from MGM... - should i change?

stevens i guess i am just worried about what others say - too big, tiny rooms in west wing - who cares though? bad service, etc etc, bad location. i thought mgm was located in a good place. it will be july so i can't see us walking too far anyway even if we were in the middle of the strip i think we'd cab it don't you?

Level Contributor
70 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: you are all scaring me away from MGM... - should i change?

Joey, we cab it everywhere we go. Like I said before. I have never stayed in the West Wing...but they rooms are brand new. Recently remodeled. Very ecclectic design. The service for all of our experiences (over 10) have been great. Like you we are East coaster. Up early....by choice. This happens to be our fav time at the hotel.. YOu will see people everywhere cleaning. Polishing windows and the brass, vaccuuming, pool attendents washing down chairs and pathways, cleaners in the restaurants polishing glassware and bartops. We have always been impressed when we see that. I use the spa services and the fitness center/I love that too. But again for a 21 b'day...this location will be great. Mandalay Bay is very easy and quick to get to from MGM they tend to have a young night crowd as well. In fact while playing at the tables, I hear people saying they are going there or vice versa. 2 Starbucks in very good location. A food court. And probably one of the best pool complexes on the strip.

Baltimore, Maryland
Level Contributor
1,548 posts
366 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: you are all scaring me away from MGM... - should i change?

thanks stevens - i have another question for you though

Level Contributor
70 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: you are all scaring me away from MGM... - should i change?

Sorry about continuing on. But go to the MGM webstie. Studio 54 is there along with TABU and Teatro...all great place to hang out. The cross walk across Las Vegas Blvd is right outside the hotel.. At NY NY you will find Coyote Ugly. Mandalay Bay you will find House of Blues and their poolside concerts during the summer months.

Baltimore, Maryland
Level Contributor
1,548 posts
366 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: you are all scaring me away from MGM... - should i change?

if you get a spa service, is it free to use the fitness center that day or still 25 bucks?

Level Contributor
70 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: you are all scaring me away from MGM... - should i change?

If you get a spa service you will have access to the fitness center. MGM usually runs specials for their spas services...did you check that out? Likewise, if you pay for the fitness center.. they will deduct $25.00 from your spa bill.....have the zen stone massage....heavenly. The fitness center opens early @6am.

Newington
Level Contributor
1,055 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: you are all scaring me away from MGM... - should i change?

I would rather pay $1000 for CP than to stay at this place again. The rooms are horrible the gaming floor is uninviting. I am 33 and the distance between places is ridiculous. People always say it does'nt matter you don't spend that much time in your room. To me it does matter. It sets a tone for your vacation. Most of the time where you stay is where you spend the most time. I found nothing about this place to be worth my time which I consider more valuable.

Maine
Level Contributor
103 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: you are all scaring me away from MGM... - should i change?

Joeybagz

You will have a wonderful time here. You are in a fantastic spot, right across the bridge from NYNY, Tropicana, Monte Carlo, Luxor and Mandalay Bay, this is truly a great location. Great Pools, Great Service, lots and lots of things to do. Like I said, I am there also in May and I wouldn't change for anything.