We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dollar Rental Cars - Not Happy!

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
191 posts
24 reviews
Dollar Rental Cars - Not Happy!

We recently hired a rental car for a week in Las Vegas and got an SUV with Dollar Rent A Car (the rental was prepaid through Carhire 3000)

When we got the car, it looked like it had not been cleaned properly but it was adequate.

Approximately 3 weeks after we had returned the car, a charge of US$250 was made to our credit card. We queried this with Car Hire 3000, and today we have been advised that Dollar has charged us a 'cleaning fee' of $250 as we had been smoking in the car??

As we are both non-smokers this is absolute rubbish! We have hired many cars in the USA previously through Alamo, Thrifty and Enterprise and have NEVER had a problem.

Needless to say we will never hire from Dollar again - and to let everyone know to be careful with this car company!

NJ
Level Contributor
562 posts
9 reviews
1. Re: Dollar Rental Cars - Not Happy!

You should be ableto fight that with corporate office of Dollar.

They are supposed to check car for all damage when you retuyrn the car, including smoke or burn holes etc from smoking. If their agent gave you an all clear when you turned in your car they have no recourse. They will have to refund you the money.

I had a similar incident with enterprise once. I turned in a car with (zero damage) at a facility. When they moved the car I guess an employee must of hit something and tried to pin the damage on me. I explained to them that when I turned vehicle in it had no damage and must have happened in the 24 hours when they moved the car. Since I had already dropped off car they had no recourse but to stop their claim.

canada
Level Contributor
349 posts
2. Re: Dollar Rental Cars - Not Happy!

Just dispute the charge through your credit card company. Not an issue.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
27 posts
18 reviews
3. Re: Dollar Rental Cars - Not Happy!

Also had a bad experience with Dollar in Vegas, first car we got had a whole bag of garbage in the trunk and the seats were extremely dirty.

Rancho Cucamonga...
Level Contributor
11,812 posts
167 reviews
4. Re: Dollar Rental Cars - Not Happy!

Make sure to communicate with a manager at Dollar and dispute the charge on the credit card. They will correct it I bet.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
53 posts
5. Re: Dollar Rental Cars - Not Happy!

I rented from Dollar last week. We had asked for a Charger or similar, but they didn't have any. We ended up with a Mercury Grand Marquis which was dirty inside and out. Of course it's so dark in the rental garage that you can't see the dirt until you're outside. We complained when we returned it and were given a 10% discount.

I've rented from Dollar in the past and have been happy. I'll watch the credit card for any extra charges, so thanks eden62 for posting. Hope the rest of your trip was okay!

Las Vegas, Nevada
Level Contributor
4,345 posts
23 reviews
6. Re: Dollar Rental Cars - Not Happy!

Write a calm and detailed letter to Dollar rental company disputing the charge. If they don't agree or ignore you then dispute it with the CC company - send the CC company a copy of the letter you sent to Dollar. Do your best to not be emotional about it and dispute it in writing at every turn (with a copy of your original letter) . For years if necessary - it will go away.

Eugene, Oregon
Level Contributor
27,987 posts
27 reviews
7. Re: Dollar Rental Cars - Not Happy!

Once they drive it away from me in the garage I'm done with them. Just as it's up to me to find any damage before I take the car, it's up to them to find it when I return. Otherwise it's just a he said, she said.

Did the car smell like smoke when you picked it up? I would have asked for a new car right then. If it didn't, then obviously one of their people smoked in it.

I've also never had trouble with Dollar, so I'm surprised they would pull something like this.

vancouver, BC
Level Contributor
4,999 posts
296 reviews
8. Re: Dollar Rental Cars - Not Happy!

in your future visits, i would rent from ALAMO or BUDGET or THRIFTY...i have used all three of these companies without any difficulties or problems. when we return the car, they don't even walk around to check for damages. all they do is look at the mileage and gas fuel tank for fullness.

i have rented from these 3 companies many many times and each time, i have been very happy with them.

Dallas, Texas
Destination Expert
for Boston, Orlando, Walt Disney World
Level Contributor
31,389 posts
117 reviews
9. Re: Dollar Rental Cars - Not Happy!

Never rent a car that is DIRTY period end of story.

Miami, Florida
Level Contributor
2,606 posts
43 reviews
10. Re: Dollar Rental Cars - Not Happy!

We always rent from Dollar and agree the cars are not maintained as well as they could be. This was the case when we arrived in Vegas earlier this year but I was too tired to deal with it. I think they have done away with the vehicle diagram thingy where you mark all of the scratches and smoking is indeed not permitted in any of the cars. I took pictures with my phone and I did make the time to mark all flaws on the actual contract, documented that the car smelled like smoke which it did, had the person at the exit gate sign it and we left. I hope your issue is resolved but one MUST be an advocate for themselves and take precautions.