We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Craps tournament strategy

Thomasville, NC
Level Contributor
200 posts
1 review
1 helpful vote
Craps tournament strategy
Save

Play a lot of craps but never a torunamant. Got a comp offer for one.

Looking for information on how a torurnament is different, strategy, etc.

For example rules say 30 rolls. Does that mean one person can roll all 30 times if they avoid the seven out? Or are the dice passed each roll?

mi
Level Contributor
355 posts
1 review
1. Re: Craps tournament strategy
Save

when and where

Pentwater, MI
Level Contributor
1,190 posts
20 reviews
12 helpful votes
2. Re: Craps tournament strategy
Save

Typically, the dice move as per the usual rules but the round is over after 30 total rolls. Can get some crazy betting in the last few rolls if desperation sets in.

Thomasville, NC
Level Contributor
200 posts
1 review
1 helpful vote
3. Re: Craps tournament strategy
Save

Orleans

canada
Level Contributor
349 posts
4. Re: Craps tournament strategy
Save

I played in the Orleans August craps tournament

Each player has two sessions of 30 rolls each and you are assigned your table and session time when you register for the tournament. Each player starts each session with $1,000 and the roll plasses from stick left around the table just like a regular craps game. Theoretically the first shooter could be on a hot roll and hold the dice for all 30 rolls. You must bet at least $10 on the pass or don't pass and regular odds apply as do maximums on your bets(eg. $500 on the hardways). This is all layed out for you in the rules given out at registration. Totals of chips are taken after each round and the final total determins the winner. Top 10 players win cash ranging from $5,000 to $150.

As for strategy it comes down to pure luck and whether you happen to draw a hot table(or cold if you're betting against). As you can imagine, there is some pretty wild betting going on. In our tournament the winner ended up with over $12,000 in chips so must have drawn a really hot table and was betting big $ on prop bets.

My strategy was to be reasonably aggressive. $25 with full odds on the pass line and $200 placed on each of the 4 and 10, bumping it up by $100 on a win. At the end of session 1 my total was $2,600 and I was in 4th place. The second round I drew a much colder table and ended up with only $500 and a final total of $3,100. This put me in 11th place, one out of the money(Yes, my luck ran like this the whole trip haha). In hindsight I should have put the entire $500 on the field bet the last roll( it was a 2). which would have put me in the money.

Good luck! It's fun and didn't cost any entry fee so thanks to the Orleans for treating their players right.

Oceanside...
Level Contributor
1,571 posts
14 reviews
1 helpful vote
5. Re: Craps tournament strategy
Save

Thanks for the detailed response, hard6. I've played craps for many years but have never done a tourney. Sounds like a lot of fun!

Thomasville, NC
Level Contributor
200 posts
1 review
1 helpful vote
6. Re: Craps tournament strategy
Save

Ditto on the thanks hard6. Sounds like fun and nothing to loose. Orleans used to get high marks on TA but not so much anymore. To each his on and not flaming those who don't care for it but I have always enjoyed the gamble there and agree that as a player they have always treated me right.

Virginia
Level Contributor
1,580 posts
27 reviews
45 helpful votes
7. Re: Craps tournament strategy
Save

I think I would lay the 10 for $800, scoop $400 on the first 7, and start playing the Field with the rest.

Sounds like playing a normal, conservative strategy won't end up winning you much. Aggression and luck!

8. Re: Craps tournament strategy

-:- Message from Tripadvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the Tripadvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:16 pm, October 17, 2012
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in the United States. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.