We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Wheelchair rental.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
5,970 posts
10 reviews
110 helpful votes
Wheelchair rental.

Just a quick question - A friend is going in a few weeks with her elderly but quite feisty mother. They are staying at a time share just east of the Strip. Mother uses a cane at home and welcomes the wheel chair ride at the airport. We talked about them either renting an electric wheelchair or a manual “you push it” model. My thinking is that the latter might be easier to get into a taxi. So the question is, where to rent it from?

Flower Mound, Texas
Level Contributor
531 posts
1 review
20 helpful votes
1. Re: Wheelchair rental.

I suggest Active Mobility. We have used them for electric chair rentals and have always had great service. They offer manual chairs as well

mcssl.com/store/…5068649

Boston...
Level Contributor
6,412 posts
17 reviews
44 helpful votes
2. Re: Wheelchair rental.

http://www.activemobilitylv.com/

http://www.lasvegaswheelchairs.com/

Hi Big Brother! I have used both, the service by both was very good. They will drop off wherever the people are staying and pick up when they are done.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
5,970 posts
10 reviews
110 helpful votes
3. Re: Wheelchair rental.

Thanks all and hello Sis. I gave my friend the link to this post and they will work on it.

So is it better for taxis to rent an electric wheelchair or a manual “you push it” model?

Boston...
Level Contributor
6,412 posts
17 reviews
44 helpful votes
4. Re: Wheelchair rental.

I've only done manual, hopefully someone will stop by to help with scooter/taxi advice.

Orange, California
Level Contributor
2,458 posts
40 reviews
23 helpful votes
5. Re: Wheelchair rental.

Well, you cannot fold up a an electric w/c, and they are quite heavy. A manual w/c would be the way to go, since she is ambulatory with the cane. If you get the power chair, you will always need a taxi with a lift.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
5,970 posts
10 reviews
110 helpful votes
6. Re: Wheelchair rental.

Thanks.

Naples, Florida
Level Contributor
3,311 posts
51 reviews
45 helpful votes
7. Re: Wheelchair rental.

chi after all your help I hope I can help you with this post.

I have several friends who have the motorized chair not really wheel chairs but more like the advertised hoover chair. They are very easy to fit into a trunk of a taxi. They come apart in 2 pieces. My 88 years old neighbor until about 2 months ago popped her friends into the trunk .

Petrolleheadette also had one a few years ago in LV and I watched as valet took it apart and popped it into her trunk. Very easy

I would PM supershe about where she rents hers.They do come in sizes and weights so make sure of that.

Best of luck

Las Vegas, Nevada
Level Contributor
91 posts
2 reviews
10 helpful votes
8. Re: Wheelchair rental.

I have rented a scooter for my friend when she visits for the past 3 years; we can break the scooter into parts and load it ourselves if need be....but the valets always do it for us.

702scooters.com/las-vegas-scooters-rentals-g…

The cost is 157.00 including insurance, taxes and delivery for 7 days.

I have been very satisfied.

Orange, California
Level Contributor
2,458 posts
40 reviews
23 helpful votes
9. Re: Wheelchair rental.

I stand (sit) corrected, good info.

Winnipeg, Canada
2 posts
10. Re: Wheelchair rental.

Hi chitowngambler,

My name is Mike, I'm with Scootaround Inc. - we rent wheelchairs and scooters in Vegas, as well as many other locations across the country.

For your friend's mother, I would recommend either a manual wheelchair or a scooter. As trueblue001 pointed out, a manual wheelchair is easier to transport than an electric wheelchair (also called a powerchair).

If your friend's mother does decide to go with a scooter, make sure they request a transportable scooter. A transportable scooter is the type that easily folds up and can be put into the trunk of a taxi.