We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

US holiday dates 2012 (including spring break?)

Southend-on-Sea...
14 posts
US holiday dates 2012 (including spring break?)

I'm currently planning a trip to Vegas next year from the UK, and after reading several guide books and websites, am aiming towards going in April, as it offers the best combinaton of weather for me. (Although I know trying to guess the weather is nigh on impossible!)

But a friend of mine thinks that US schools have their spring breaks in April, and that Vegas is a popular destination. She also thought there is a major US public holiday in April, but wasn't sure which one.

To be honest I'm not that bothered because of Vegas being busy, it's always busy, but I know that US holiday times push the price of rooms up, so I'd like to try and avoid them if poss.

Can anyone let me know of any major holidays or if spring break does happen in April? Would very much appreciate it.

Special Offer
Grand Canyon All-American Helicopter...
6,719 Reviews
from $399.99*
$520.00
Special Offer
Grand Canyon West Rim and Hoover Dam...
5,232 Reviews
from $139.99*
$224.90
Special Offer
Grand Canyon Helicopter Tour from Las...
617 Reviews
from $369.99*
$479.00
New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas
Level Contributor
15,743 posts
7 reviews
1. Re: US holiday dates 2012 (including spring break?)

www.timeanddate.com/calendar/?year=2012

Easter is two weeks earlier next year; April 8. This relevant because many schools have their spring break the week before Easter. No other major holidays in April.

"Spring Break Season" in the US starts with Presidents Week on February 20, and depending on the school and their individual calendars, runs generally through Easter week.

When I was in college (back when dinosaurs roamed the earth) our Spring Break was in late March. My kindergarten-high school breaks were Easter week.

Peering into my crystal ball, I'd say you should be OK in late April.

Have a great trip; the planning is 1/2 the fun!

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas, Washington DC, County Donegal, Western Ireland
Level Contributor
61,660 posts
48 reviews
2. Re: US holiday dates 2012 (including spring break?)

There is no defined "spring break" in the USA. It's determined by the local school districts. Some have off the week before Easter. Some have off the week after Easter. Some have neither, or just a couple days like Good Friday and Easter Monday.

If you're talking about college/university breaks, those are also staggered throughout late March and into April.

There are no public holidays in the USA during April. But like many countries, the period around Easter is a popular time for travel.

AZ
Level Contributor
3,677 posts
8 reviews
3. Re: US holiday dates 2012 (including spring break?)

Most spring breaks actually happen in March and that in combination with March Madness (college basketball playoffs) really pushes prices/crowds up. April is usually not too bad - there may be a random school with spring break in April, but not so much.

Irvine, California
Level Contributor
33,862 posts
4. Re: US holiday dates 2012 (including spring break?)

There's a couple of events that have way more impact in terms of how busy Vegas is in April than spring break. The major one is the huge National Association of Broadcasters convention (next year April 13-19) when hotel rates are invariably extremely high and everywhere is very busy.

And to a lesser extent the week of the Academy of Country Music Awards is also pretty busy. Dates aren't confirmed yet for 2012.

Edited: 10:03 am, April 29, 2011
New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas
Level Contributor
15,743 posts
7 reviews
5. Re: US holiday dates 2012 (including spring break?)

Thanks to blagger for thinking more broadly (i.e. beyond "holidays") than I did and providing a better answer!

1060 W Addison...
Level Contributor
10,156 posts
15 reviews
6. Re: US holiday dates 2012 (including spring break?)

Highschools and gradeschools are more likely to have flexible school calendars that move with Easter. College breaks are less likely to move with Easter. But it doesn't really matter... neither has a big impact on Vegas.

There are very few things that really have a huge impact on prices week-to-week. And once you add it your plane cost and spending money, and flucuation in cost will be a small part of your budget.

Find the time that works best for you and go.

Southend-on-Sea...
14 posts
7. Re: US holiday dates 2012 (including spring break?)

Brilliant, thanks for all your help, looks like as long as I avoid march i should be ok!

thanks again.

Pickering, Canada
Level Contributor
126 posts
13 reviews
8. Re: US holiday dates 2012 (including spring break?)

Does anyone know what the dates are for CANADIAN SPRING BREAK?

Edited: 8:17 pm, December 13, 2011
Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
1,033 posts
9. Re: US holiday dates 2012 (including spring break?)

Canadian March Break:

…about.com/od/…March_break_canada.htm

Last year I was in Vegas late March thru April 3 or so. That Friday (April 1 or 2) there were tons of what I would describe as Spring Breakers in Planet Hollywood. The whole front desk area was swarming with 20-somethings checking in. Maybe that's just a normal spring weekend in Vegas and they were college kids from California.

Edited: 8:45 pm, December 13, 2011
Arizona
Level Contributor
4,259 posts
15 reviews
10. Re: US holiday dates 2012 (including spring break?)

Many in AZ are on break the week of March 19