We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

canyon trips

Coventry, United...
Level Contributor
8 posts
39 reviews
Save Topic
canyon trips

Hi,

I have booked a honeymoon in October! I wanted to book a helicopter ride over the canyon, I have seen one on line which encorporates a picninc within the trip.

My realquestion is am I better to book these things fromour travel operator before we go or is it easy/cheaper to do it when imin Vegas.

Also with show tickets is it easier to do it here or there.

Thanks Shelley

Special Offer
Grand Canyon All-American Helicopter...
6,706 Reviews
from $399.99*
$520.00
Special Offer
Grand Canyon West Rim and Hoover Dam...
5,214 Reviews
from $139.99*
$224.90
Grand Canyon 4-in-1 Helicopter Tour
927 Reviews
from $598.99*
Boston
Level Contributor
24,681 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: canyon trips

" I have booked a honeymoon in October! I wanted to book a helicopter ride over the canyon, I have seen one on line which encorporates a picninc within the trip.

My realquestion is am I better to book these things fromour travel operator before we go or is it easy/cheaper to do it when imin Vegas.

Also with show tickets is it easier to do it here or there. "

Your questions are vague, first off, I believe there are No helicopter trips to the South Rim of the canyon so I assume your looking at a West Rim tour in which case is really not the best trip to take. If your going to the Canyon you should go to the South Rim and spend a night. There are bus trips that go to the South rim but its an all day affair. You can also take a small craft plane to the South Rim which can be a bit more costly, You can rent a car and drive yourself, but again its a 5 to 6 hours drive to the South Rim.

As far as tickets go, If you want to see a popular show, such as Love, then book before you go, if its not a popular show then chances are you can wait till you arrive in LV. Again you can take your chance and wait till you come to LV but you might not get to see the show.

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
66,170 posts
249 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: canyon trips

If your goal is to see and experience the Grand Canyon, choose a trip that takes you to the GCNP at the South Rim. Helicopters do not fly there from LV. You'll need to go by land or by fixed wing aircraft. You can then add a helicopter flight above the GC from the GC Airport.

If your goal is simply to take a ride in a helicopter and have a quickie picnic at the Colorado River in the extreme western region of the GC aka west rim, choose the flight you mentioned. It's overpriced but designed to attract unsuspecting tourists such as you.

Coventry, United...
Level Contributor
8 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: canyon trips

Its all about timing really to be honest. We are only in vegas for 6 days so just want to see the canyon, I have found a trip that encorprates the sky walk but unsure if I should book this in advance in the U.K or will i get a better deal booking it in Vegas

Kitchener, Canada
Level Contributor
1,591 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: canyon trips

The skywalk is at the west rim area of the Canyon. Definitely closer to Vegas... but not the great views you get of the Canyon like at the South Rim. Consider booking a trip to the South Rim. It's approximately 4.5hrs drive, but you can get there very quickly via air. I found the west rim to be a huge rip off.

I'm not from the UK, so I'm not sure what pricing is like.... but I would just start googling GCNP South Rim trips from Vegas... and see where you get. If you booked with a travel agent, ring them up, and get them to do the work for you.

Irvine, California
Level Contributor
33,862 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: canyon trips

"Its all about timing really to be honest. We are only in vegas for 6 days so just want to see the canyon"

Unfortunately for you the one thing you need to invest to get the most out of GC is time. In reality it's a destination in its own right rather than a day trip from Vegas and an overnight stay at South Rim is the way to go. But if you only have one day so be it. Check out Maverick Airlines if you want to fly or Grand Adventures if you're happy to travel by van.

And as others have said, avoid Grand Canyon West.

Muskegon, Michigan
Level Contributor
6,863 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: canyon trips

Go South Rim! It'd be much more memorable to you and you won't have to pay dearly for a gimmick like the SkyWalk. Plus you get to go back home and show your friends and family that you went to the real and majestic Grand Canyon National Park, and not a theme park made out to be a natural attraction like Grand Canyon West is.

7. Re: canyon trips

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:17 pm, October 30, 2012