We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Priceline Car Rental plus insurance

Southwest
Level Contributor
1,745 posts
32 reviews
Save Topic
Priceline Car Rental plus insurance

I was thinking of renting a compact for 2 days during a week-long trip in September. I signed up with Dollar, got my receipt and didn't see the insurance I had requested on the bill. Called them up and they said they would add it and I could check the total online. The bill skyrocketed to $187 for 2 days and I cancelled.

I was looking at Priceline and there seem to be some pretty good deals. Does anyone know when you add insurance and how much it might be. I would think I could get a compact for 2 days for around $100.

Special Offer
Grand Canyon Helicopter Tour with...
6,569 reviews
from $399.99*
$520.00
Special Offer
Grand Canyon West Rim and Hoover Dam...
5,035 reviews
from $142.99*
$224.90
Special Offer
Grand Canyon West Rim Helicopter Tour...
570 reviews
from $369.99*
$479.00
Special Offer
Grand Canyon West Rim Luxury...
357 reviews
from $299.99*
$399.00
San Francisco...
Level Contributor
26,835 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Priceline Car Rental plus insurance

you would add the optional insurance when you actually rent the car, Prices will vary from company to company and by exactly what type of coverage you take out. for example if all you want to do is cover the rental car it will be less than if you want to cover the car as well as have coverage that would cover you if you hit another car or object.

Iowa
Level Contributor
10,252 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Priceline Car Rental plus insurance

You can always add insurance at the rental counter regardless of how you book. I would think the price of insurance would be the same if you booked through any rental company or PL. The insurance fees are all available on the rental comany sites.

Milwaukee
Destination Expert
for Milwaukee
Level Contributor
10,994 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Priceline Car Rental plus insurance

There can be lots of debate about buying insurance from rental car companies. Some people are willing to pay the high cost for peace of mind, others see it as a rip off.

Many personal auto insurance policies cover rental cars. So, I suggest contacting your agent or insurance company to see if you even need to purchase car rental insurance.

If you do need car rental insurance there are companies that offer it and other travel insurance much cheaper than you will find from the car rental companies.

Some credit cards give supplemental car rental insurance to cardholders.

In my case if I needed to purchase car rental insurance at the inflated rates rental companies charge, I would not see renting a car as cost effective and I would just use taxis and other forms of transportation, but that's just me.

Southwest
Level Contributor
1,745 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Priceline Car Rental plus insurance

przyk, I see your point. I really just wanted a car to go to Hoover Dam, based on all of the forum comments. And yes, I wouldn't feel comfortable without purchasing the insurance.

Morris County, New...
Level Contributor
310 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Priceline Car Rental plus insurance

Do you have insurance on the car you drive at home? Call up that insurance company - I'll bet you are covered for any car you rent on vacation.

Also - if your insurance company does not cover you - call the credit card company that you will use to charge the car rental to. They may also have free insurance coverage on the rental car.

Agree - you need to be covered - but why pay for it if your existing policy covers it

Edited: 12:21 pm, April 08, 2011
Detroit, MI
Level Contributor
1,576 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Priceline Car Rental plus insurance

They will be more than happy to sell it to you at the counter. But you probably already have coverage through your credit card company or auto insurance company, so you'll just be paying again for something you already have. But to each his own.

Also: if you didn't specify exactly which insurance you wanted, they probably added on the most expensive kind. That would also be something to check.

McKinney, Texas, USA
Level Contributor
160 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Priceline Car Rental plus insurance

You should already be covered through your regular car insurance.

Call your agent to confirm.

Milwaukee
Destination Expert
for Milwaukee
Level Contributor
10,994 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Priceline Car Rental plus insurance

If you just want to go to Hoover Dam you would probably be better off renting a car just for the day. Find a company that rents from your hotel or a nearby one so you don't have to get to and from the airport.

Eugene, Oregon
Level Contributor
27,077 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Priceline Car Rental plus insurance

That's a good idea, that way you'll only have to pay the insurance for one day, too, since you seem not to want to rely on your personal insurance.

Kitchener, Canada
Level Contributor
1,591 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Priceline Car Rental plus insurance

Most US residents can also puchase insurance through Priceline. You will be give the option to choose so once you choose a car. It's $11/day. Most rental companies are somewhere in the ballpark of 15-25 per day for LDW.... so you may want to buy Priceline's cheaper version. Just read the insurance agreement first, to make sure you're happy with it.