We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Spirit Airlines-Good?

TX
Level Contributor
426 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Spirit Airlines-Good?

Spirit Airlines will be coming to DFW in May. Any of you who have flown it have observations good or bad?

Mullica Hill, New...
Level Contributor
7,157 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Spirit Airlines-Good?

If I recall correctly, that's the airline that charges for carry-on luggage.

Level Contributor
3,513 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Spirit Airlines-Good?

As stated above, they nickle & dime you for everything. They charge $45 each way for a carry-on bag in addition to checked luggage fees. They try to compete with Delta out of DTW. Their advertised price is almost always cheaper than Delta, but end up being about the same or more expensive when you add in the fees.

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas, Washington DC, County Donegal, Western Ireland
Level Contributor
55,527 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Spirit Airlines-Good?

The Internet is full of stories of how bad this airline can be if there are any problems with weather or mechanical delays or whatever.

But the subject came up a month or so ago and some people said they take them from Detroit to LV and haven't had any problems.

I'll avoid them, personally, just based on what I've read. It's not worth saving a couple dollars to me to use an airline that doesn't have the best track record.

Go to the Air Travel forum for more info:

tripadvisor.com/ShowForum-g1-i10702-Air_Trav…

Gibbsboro, New...
Level Contributor
1,681 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Spirit Airlines-Good?

We flew Spirit out of Atlantic City years ago. It was really cheap, I wouild say we paid $150 round trip, but, we brought our own pillows, drinks, and food. It is bare bones, but was a cheap way to get out to Vegas.

East Lansing, MI
Level Contributor
421 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Spirit Airlines-Good?

Have flown on Spirit many times from Detroit - love the non-stop to Vegas. They do have some great deals if you can get in on them. Prior to the new carry on baggage fees they implemented, what was happening was it took a really long time to board the plane as many people weren't paying to check their luggage. If you were among the last to board there wasn't any bin space left and they made you check your luggage, at no cost. Now it's cheaper for passengers to check their luggage, than to carry it on, and boarding is much faster. Have experienced delays with flights not leaving on time, and often delayed on the return trip. Last time it was 3 hour delay.

Indiana
Level Contributor
990 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Spirit Airlines-Good?

I have Spirit Airlines booked for the first time in March. I couldn't resist the price which is half of what I paid for plane fare in October. All I want from an airline is a safe, nonstop, on-time flight. I hope I don't have the problems of flight delays that SpartanMama wrote about.

Michigan
Level Contributor
1,848 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Spirit Airlines-Good?

I've flown Spirit from Detroit around 8 times since 2009. The longest delay we've had was 1 hr, and I would say more often than not we have been close to ontime. My most recent trip was $49 each way, for a total of $135 after tax. Add to that the carry-on bag fee of $20 (for $9 club members -- $30 for non-members, and $45 at the gate), and my total was $175 all in. That's a good deal from Detroit for a non-stop flight, and less than I could get with Delta.

Detroit, Michigan
Level Contributor
211 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Spirit Airlines-Good?

Spirit Airlines has the cheapest faresfor Detroit to LV for sure. If your flights from Dallas are non-stop, I'd say consider them. If you pay for checked baggage when you book your reservation, the fee becomes $28 per checked bag. Gotta travel lite. We've flown them numerous times and never had a problem.....so far. Start checking fares early, like nine months out if you can, and then check the website every day, don't book until you are satisfied with the price.

Daydream Island...
Level Contributor
4,421 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Spirit Airlines-Good?

I have used them in the past as a shuttle between Atlanta and Ft. Lauderdale and use to use them for Caribbean flights when they first started the nine dollar club before it became $29.00 with auto renewal, but no more. I'm all for trying to save money when travelling, but after laying my head back into a greasy seat back of hair gel and sticky armrests and watching the woman next to me hold a young child in her lap while he smeared a peanut butter and jelly sandwich on his face and everywhere else and persons bringing everything short of goats in the cabin and breaking the overhead bin doors slamming them, I said no more. When we used them to P.R. and St. Thomas a while back, I wondered why the customs ran drug dogs thru the Spirit boarding gate and not the American or Delta gates. The customer service was in the Phillipines last time I flew them and needed to make changes. Smallest seats and lean in the business. Great if saving money is priority one, but I'll spend a few dollars for a little more. Some questions have been raised about their maintenance , but nothing became of it.

Edited: 1:54 pm, February 20, 2011
Nashville, TN
Level Contributor
6,042 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Spirit Airlines-Good?

Go to the Air Travel forum and pose that question. Be prepared for the onslaught of stay away from them responses.

I used to be a travel consultant and they are the only airline that I've ever worked with that charged a service fee to refund a ticket for a passenger that passed away prior to travel instead of waiving it.