We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best way to get an airline deal to Las Vegas?

Lakeland
Level Contributor
66 posts
27 reviews
Save Topic
Best way to get an airline deal to Las Vegas?

I have been told never told book airline tickets to Las Vegas several months in advance. The closer you get to your departure the cheaper you can find them. Is this true advice?

Wife and I are looking at travel there from Tampa the 2nd week of May M-F.

A co worker told me I could find $40 tickets on places like orbitz but I have never used such places for tickets before.

What is the best way to find the cheapest airline Tickets to Las Vegas?

John

White Plains, New...
Destination Expert
for White Plains, Aruba
Level Contributor
6,637 posts
197 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best way to get an airline deal to Las Vegas?

not true.... people always say these things...... the closer to the date, more expensive the tixs...... just check and you will see....... planes need to fill

blacksburg va
Level Contributor
6,859 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best way to get an airline deal to Las Vegas?

this wont help on this trip........but if you feel your going to return to vegas again .consider this.

sadly we always have to fly us air.

probably the worst airline for overbooking flights. we always book the redeye flight home,and since our rooms are comped we keep the room an extra day and show up and offer our seats up.

last 3 trips we were able to give up our seats in return for vouchers good enough for us to fly back to vegas.

and they booked us on a flight the next day/

Level Contributor
3,512 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best way to get an airline deal to Las Vegas?

I generally find the best deals about 3-4 months out. You need to check daily (or multiple times a day). I have seen the same flights from DTW to LAS vary from $175 - $400 over a couple of days.

Generally I have found that early AM during a mid-week day is when I have found the best deals. The prices seem to always be higher when you look on a weekend.

Pick an acceptable price and be ready to pull the trigger as soon as you see it. I am hoping to book a trip for August. I'm already watching the airfares.

Tempe, AZ
Level Contributor
10,728 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best way to get an airline deal to Las Vegas?

$40 from Tampa to Vegas would be an absolute steal.

Naperville, Illinois
Level Contributor
1,662 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Best way to get an airline deal to Las Vegas?

Travel to Las Vegas is like travel to any other area. At least as far as airfare is concerned. Its based on supply and demand. As you get closer to the dates the fares will start to change. If there is a lot of demand then the fares will rise. If there is less demand fares will fall. The airlines are really good at predicting capacity these days so there is a lot less fluctuation in pricing. As a frequent seasoned traveler the best advice I can give is to figure out what the price tends to be in your area. For example if you know most flights to Vegas from MCO run about $300 then you probably want to book if the fare is less then $300. On the other hand if the fare is about $500 then your going to want to wait. That said you need to decide if you want to gamble and wait until you get closer to the date to see if the fare lowers. I personally dont like to gamble on what the airlines are going to charge. I pretty much know what a round trip ticket costs to most areas Im going to so if the fare is close I just book. You can always call the airlines and ask them to refare the ticket. You wont get actual cash back but you will get a travel voucher for future use.

If you havnt used it yet you will want to use Bing's travel predictor. http://www.bing.com/travel/flights It will give you an idea of where fares stand in relation to the average. BTW right now fares are about $330 from MCO to LV the week you are asking about. A little high. Bing says to wait..

Also one last thing to consider the airlines are in the mist of trying to push through a price increase. Some airlines have already raised prices. Not everyone has followed suit so Im not sure if its going to stick but you may not see fares falling to very low levels (less then $250 RT) anytime soon.

Lakeland FL
Level Contributor
47 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Best way to get an airline deal to Las Vegas?

Go to Southwest .com they have mutible flights every day and no baggage fees. your best bet is to get a non stop flight It saves hours off the travel time. Good luck

Lakeland
Level Contributor
66 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best way to get an airline deal to Las Vegas?

That link will come in handy especially since I don't know what is a good price in flying to Las Vegas.

A coworker told me about the cheaper deals. She says that since Las Vegas gets hot as the Summer comes people will usually stay away from it. Well, the logic is there but at night the desert cools down.

The cheapest we have found up until now is Continental airlines for $317 round trip.

Kitchener Ontario...
Level Contributor
1,610 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best way to get an airline deal to Las Vegas?

Make sure to sign up for all the airlines you might travel with. They usually send email discounts.

Stony Plain, Canada
Level Contributor
1,339 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Best way to get an airline deal to Las Vegas?

a1copyguy - a big thumbs up to you. Good way to get free trips! Have to remember that.

pittsburgh
Level Contributor
2,428 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Best way to get an airline deal to Las Vegas?

I just checked some rates for May on Southwest and you can get roundtrip out of Orlando for $318 - remember that Southwest doesn't charge for your bags. Most people on this site (and I agree with them) suggest booking your trip seperately - i.e, hotel and airline separately. Just play around with your dates, and check out room fares at either www.caesars.com or www.mgmmirage.com. The lower hotel rates are usually for Sunday thru THursday. Have fun planning