We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Free trams or Monorail

new york
Level Contributor
116 posts
80 reviews
Save Topic
Free trams or Monorail

Wondering if anyone used the free trams in LV or should I stick to the Monorail..I was going to buy the 3 day pass in advance online since it looks like the monorail takes you close to more hotels.. thanks in advance..

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
4,613 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Free trams or Monorail

The monorail is only useful for the few hotels it serves. Even then, it is at the very back of the property as far from the Strip as physically possible.

The real utility is getting from the Strip to the Las Vegas Convention Center, but if you aren't there for a convention, it's of less use.

A bus pass is more useful, since the Deuce and the Gold Line/Strip Downtown Express is more flexible and stops at more places along the length of the Strip and downtown.

Novi, Michigan
Level Contributor
855 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Free trams or Monorail

Free monorail Excal to MB is good for going to MB buffet. MC to Bellagio free tram is good for going S strip to center if staying on the W side.

Buying 3 day pass is a good bet if staying at a hotel with a monorail station, on the E side of the strip.

Jersey
Level Contributor
31,600 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Free trams or Monorail

You are talking about two different issues.

There are only a few free trams- Excalibur/Luxor/Mandalay Bay; Monte Carlo/Crystals/Bellagio; Mirage/TI. They are good if you are going from one of those hotels to another within the group. .

The Monorail runs behind a few of the hotels on the east side of the strip. Most of the stations are set so far back it is a hike just getting to and from them from the strip. I used it when it only connected Bally's to MGM and it was free. The walk between the strip and the stations was so ridiculous that I didn't bother using it coming back- I just walked on the strip (and this was in the heat of the summer). I think the monorail is only good if you are going to the Hilton, convention center or the Sahara. Others disagree, I know!

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
2,140 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Free trams or Monorail

That's why we buy monorail passes for our trip. We are there for a convention. It's great for that. I usually leave the convention before my DH and then he leaves convention when he is ready.

Los Gatos...
Level Contributor
24,950 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Free trams or Monorail

Just depends on where you're staying and how many times you'll use it. If you're staying at MGM it's a great idea to get you up the strip to harrahs and surrounding areas.

Don't listen to vp03. She's got a wooden leg so walking to the back of a property takes forever, Lmaoo

Here's a map of the monorail and free trams on the other side of the strip:

http://vegastodayandtomorrow.com/condomap.htm

aurora, co
Level Contributor
4,751 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Free trams or Monorail

The monorail has very limited usefulness, Good for the Convention Center or if you stay at the Hilton, no much good for anything else. It does help, howver, if you're at MGM and you need to get up near Harrahs and the traffic on the strip is stopped up due to an accident or just exceptionally heavy traffic.

Jersey
Level Contributor
31,600 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Free trams or Monorail

Don't listen to Low- he doesn't know what he is talking about :-)

I would have been very disappointed if you didn't show up when the monorail is mentioned, Low. Very, very diappointed. lol We are never, ever going to agree on this one. But I like you all the same !

8. Re: Free trams or Monorail

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:17 am, April 20, 2011