We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best hotel, value wise.

Best hotel, value wise.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post at the original author's request.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:00 pm, March 24, 2018
Irvine, California
Level Contributor
33,862 posts
1. Re: Best hotel, value wise.

Tell us how much (roughly) you're happy to spend per night on a room. "Overly pricey" can mean vastly different things to different people. When you say late December be aware that hotel rates go into orbit for the few days around New Year's Eve. If you leave town before that you should find good deals.

Also be aware that 'Grand Canyon West' where expensive helicopter trips out of Vegas marketed to tourists take you and where the Skywalk is located is way inferior (and more costly) in just about every way to the awesome majesty of South Rim at Grand Canyon National Park. That's where you really need to head to get the best out of GC, especially if you stay overnight. Though people do go on day trips, GC should really be treated as a destination in its own right, a little like Uluru in Australia. It will though be very chilly there in December and may even get to see a dusting of snow.

Impossible to suggest how much time you should spend in Vegas without knowing some details of your overall itinerary, where else you hope to visit and how you'll be getting between places.

Burbank
Level Contributor
4,519 posts
2. Re: Best hotel, value wise.

"Others here on TA have said it's not worth it."

TRUST THEM. There are many threads here with very specific reasons why you should not waste your time and money on this carnival attraction.

3. Re: Best hotel, value wise.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Muskegon, Michigan
Level Contributor
6,863 posts
39 reviews
4. Re: Best hotel, value wise.

Hi. As Blagger said, December can be a good or bad month to visit Vegas depending on your budget. The closer to New Year's it is, the higher hotel prices will be. As for that $200/ room budget, it will depend on how many nights you'll stay in Vegas too. For 2 or 3 nights, Flamingo, Harrah's or even the not so greatly located Excalibur or Luxor may work for you.

Grand Canyon tours: Trust me, as a veteran of GC day trips from Vegas, you do not want to make Grand Canyon West your first,and maybe only, impression of the Grand Canyon. The views are not as spectacular and immense as the Grand Canyon National Park at the South Rim, and engineering marvel or not, the Skywalk is truly a rip off, especially considering the views from it aren't all that impressive at all, and you cannot take your own pictures from the structure...not even via cell phones. Plus the very dear cost of helicopter tours from Vegas to GC West is not attractive too. Save some money and lots of disappointment by at least booking a fixed wing airplane tour from Vegas to South Rim. You can add on a helicopter option at South Rim too, but you can't land in the Canyon itself. Skip GC West please if its gonna be your only chance to see Grand Canyon.

Novi, Michigan
Level Contributor
856 posts
5 reviews
5. Re: Best hotel, value wise.

MGM guestbook offers are usually the best value, but rates vary a lot depending on expected occupancy. Screen rates for comparison on expedia.com

Best values for a really nice hotel are usually Planet Hollywood, MGM...in a basic hotel, Ballys renovated rooms, Flamingo, MonteCarlo, Harrahs

Buffalo, NY
Level Contributor
6,649 posts
14 reviews
6. Re: Best hotel, value wise.

Most of us on the boards are biased-but since you have 2 weeks in the USA and have more to see than just LV- I'd stay 3 nights in Vegas. 200/night in late December- as long as it's not the 29, 30, or 31, is a great budget. You shouldn't have any problems finding a good hotel for that rate. Even the top hotels like Bellagio are running 200 or less a night up until the 29th. You could stay at a very nice hotel for under 150/night.

Where do you plan on visiting for your 2 weeks besides Vegas?

7. Re: Best hotel, value wise.

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
669 posts
8 reviews
8. Re: Best hotel, value wise.

In terms of Mexico right now, are you talking about Tijuana or something? I travel to Mexico a few times a year still, but I would avoid the areas close to the border right now.

There are areas of Mexico that haven't been affected much by the drug violence but they tend to be farther south.

Muskegon, Michigan
Level Contributor
6,863 posts
39 reviews
9. Re: Best hotel, value wise.

I would skip Mexico for now....taste the food in Vegas or Los Angeles or visit Olvera Street in Los Angeles for a little taste of Mexican culture, but I would skip visiting the actual country given the situations with border wars right now.

If you want to go from Los Angeles to San Francisco, it'd be better to drive. The buses aren't getting you there any faster, plus the national bus service here in the US, Greyhound, is not the best thing to get on if you want to get somewhere super far unless you really want to be super budget minded. The train is another option, but it would be a long ride as well.

Colorado
Level Contributor
987 posts
25 reviews
10. Re: Best hotel, value wise.

I agree with chocopenguin, the bus is horrible. Instead rent a car and drive the coastal highway to SF, go to the wine country and go winetasting (a must do in my book), tour around SF, it is beautiful. Drive to Yosemite national park, one of the most beautiful places in the world, even in the winter.

As for LA.......it does nothing for me, big and dirty and way to many people. I would skip it all together. Of course it is sort of fun to spend a day tooling around the beach and eat seafood on one of the piers.

The grand canyon is a must. yes the skywalk may not be worth it, but if this is your only trip here, well you may want to check it out. Everyone will ask about when you go home, and if you didnt go.......well you will always wonder.