We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rent car on strip & return to airport?

PORTLAND, OR
Level Contributor
212 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Rent car on strip & return to airport?

I have a long time to kill between check out & my flight. I was considering renting a car on the strip in the a.m. and then returning it to the airport in the evening. Has anyone done this? If so, what's the best way to arrange it & about how much does it cost? I checked hotwire but couldn't find a way to plug in a separate pick-up, return location. Thanks in advance.

Special Offer
Las Vegas to Grand Canyon Helicopter...
6,704 Reviews
from $399.99*
$520.00
Special Offer
Grand Canyon, Hoover Dam from Las...
5,200 Reviews
from $139.99*
$224.90
Grand Canyon West Rim Helicopter and...
926 Reviews
from $598.99*
Chicago, IL
Level Contributor
470 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Rent car on strip & return to airport?

Check with the individual car rental company's website (Hertz, Avis, etc.) when reserving. You can elect to return to a different location when pricing your rental. In some cases there is a surchage to return to another location than you rented, in others there is not.

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas, Washington DC, County Donegal, Western Ireland
Level Contributor
61,198 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Rent car on strip & return to airport?

I've done it from several properties and never had a drop fee, but you need to check with the company where you'll be renting. Where are you staying?

PORTLAND, OR
Level Contributor
212 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Rent car on strip & return to airport?

We're staying at the Flamingo. But we'd be happy to walk to another nearby property to rent the car if need be. Thanks for the suggestion to go directly to the rental car companies websites. I'll check that out.

Ontario
Level Contributor
18 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Rent car on strip & return to airport?

We used Dollar, picked up at the Airport and dropped off at our Hotel (MGM Grand). Their Web site is set up so you can select different pick-up and drop-off locations, it was pretty easy to do and we had no problems. It's cheaper to pick up at the Airport.

Ontario
Level Contributor
18 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Rent car on strip & return to airport?

We used Dollar, picked up at the Airport and dropped off at our Hotel (MGM Grand). Their Web site is set up so you can select different pick-up and drop-off locations, it was pretty easy to do and we had no problems. It's cheaper to pick up at the Airport.

Park Forest...
Level Contributor
11,488 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Rent car on strip & return to airport?

Well, Flamingo has Hertz. The neighboring MGM props have Dollar. Hotwire can't handle that type of reservation - I am not sure they even handle non-airport reservations. You would want to go to the agencies site directly to book something like this.

Jersey
Level Contributor
31,600 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Rent car on strip & return to airport?

Definitely try Dollar- they don't charge for different pick-up/drop off points. You will pay more than if you picked up at the airport, however. I believe all the HET properties have Hertz and the MGM/Mirage properties have Dollar.

The amount you will pay depends on when you are going. After you make your reservation - no matter what company you use- keep checking. The rates go up and down and if the rate drops- you can modify your reservation.

WI
Level Contributor
20 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Rent car on strip & return to airport?

Does anyone know if any rental car companies have rental/pick-up/drop-off at Rio Suites? Thank you.

nj
Level Contributor
170 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Rent car on strip & return to airport?

Hertz is at the Rio

Aurora
Level Contributor
671 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Rent car on strip & return to airport?

Unless it has changed, we walked across the street and rented form Dollar at the Bellagio. Hertz is way too expensive for us.