We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Proper etiquitte for watching

Sulphur Springs...
Level Contributor
43 posts
Save Topic
Proper etiquitte for watching

What is the proper etiquette for watching other players? I assume you ask if they mind you being there. Is there a certain place to stand and observe? Do people generally frown upon this?

I'm thinking more along the lines of games I'll never play but I'm curious to see, like Roulette and Craps.

Thanks!

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
29,809 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Proper etiquitte for watching

just dont breathe down their necks, dont comment on their play and you have nothing to worry about. There is no reason to ask, just stand back a little and watch, you wont be the only one. When it is really crowded people will be standing back waiting to grab a spot at the table.

Boston
Level Contributor
24,681 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Proper etiquitte for watching

You can watch from a distance with no problem.

Slot players usually dislike people watching.

1060 W Addison...
Level Contributor
10,156 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Proper etiquitte for watching

Same rules of human deceny as anywhere... don't crowd people's personal space, don't stare, etc.

But BY FAR the best place to observe craps is as a player at the table. As a player, all you have to do is put down your money and wait to either win or lose. They dealers and/or other players will help you know when you can bet and where to place your chip.

Minnesota
Level Contributor
1,610 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Proper etiquitte for watching

Just don't be a "Lurker".

Eugene, Oregon
Level Contributor
27,681 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Proper etiquitte for watching

And don't touch the back of their chair.

Jersey
Level Contributor
31,600 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Proper etiquitte for watching

As others have said- just give people some space and you will be fine.People who play craps seem to be the ones that are most enjoying their gambling time (and are the loudest players) so I don't think they would even notice anyone standing around watching. Just be on the lookout for flying dice. I got hit in the face with a flying die as I was walking by a table at the Bellagio last week! lol

Jax
Level Contributor
377 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Proper etiquitte for watching

Never take a seat any any play station to watch.

Indianapolis...
Level Contributor
530 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Proper etiquitte for watching

A couple of weeks ago I was watching a whale who was playing 5000 on the table at a regular $15 min craps tables and the pit boss kept looking over at me at me like I was some kind of rail bird. I like to watch other people gamble at times as well as play but ive never been treated like that before. Out of defiance I stood there and watched for a good 15 minutes.

Ive nver really asked if I can watch someone gamble. I figure its Vegas and people expect others to see and to be seen. As long as someone doesnt ask you to leave and your not being annoying then I dont see any harm in watching. When playing slots I often watch other players and talk to them. Most of the strip gamblers are out of towners so they are ussually up for a good chat while playing. Makes things more fun IMO.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
178 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Proper etiquitte for watching

I usually will stand 1-person away if I'm watching/waiting. It gives enough room for a CW or allows one of the players enough room to leave the table when they choose too.

>>>Never take a seat any any play station to watch.<<<

Agreed.

Although I had one experience a couple of years ago that would rebuke this. Me and DH sat at a roulette table, during the course of our play, we ended up being the only ones left at the table. I lost the money I had set aside for it. Being without chips, not playing anymore, I stood up and stood behind my husband (who was a run of good luck). The dealer invited me to sit back down even though I wasn't playing. He acknowledged that he rather not have an (near) empty table; a semi-full table looks more inviting to the average patron.

10. Re: Proper etiquitte for watching

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:18 am, February 01, 2010