We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

car rental return late fee? anyone ever get away without it?

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
112 posts
car rental return late fee? anyone ever get away without it?

Anyone ever return a car a couple hours late without getting charged a fee? If not, what size fee were you charged?

I will going next month, but my flight gets to Vegas at 1:45pm on a Thursday and our return flight doesn't leave till 6:30pm on Sunday. I was thinking I wouldn't actually rent the car until 2:30ish but being at the airport to return the car at 2:30 on sunday seems a bit early.

Im sure others have had a similar situation. what would be better/cheaper to do, pay for an extra day or just take it late and see if they waive the fee?

thanks!

Cleveland, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Puerto Rico, Carolina
Level Contributor
9,035 posts
36 reviews
12 helpful votes
1. Re: car rental return late fee? anyone ever get away without it?

Each company is different. Read their policy online. Everything is done by computer and scanner. There is not getting away with anything. It is all automagic. Usually you get an hour, maybe 2, then the start charging an hourly rate. That rate is non discounted and after a few hours will add up to a full day. Put in the time you actually plan on returning it. See what rate they give you.

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas, Washington DC, County Donegal, Western Ireland
Level Contributor
67,068 posts
49 reviews
109 helpful votes
2. Re: car rental return late fee? anyone ever get away without it?

Pay the extra day. Or the part day "extra hours" portion.

While you may be succesful in asking the company to waive a late fee if you're 15 minutes late, trying to get them to give you an extra 2 hours is probably not going to go very well.

vancouver
Level Contributor
1,254 posts
13 reviews
35 helpful votes
3. Re: car rental return late fee? anyone ever get away without it?

We have always booked our rental cars online ahead of time and put the times in, when we land and when we will drop the car off in time to make it to the airport. I would never drop the car off earlier in the day just to avoid another day's charge if thats what you are meaning.

Last year, I had booked a rental car, and then had to change the dates, we had to leave a day earlier and phoned to change, and they were going to charge me $15.00 for a early return fee???? on a $18 a day rental, So I had to just make a new booking with the new dates..

I would probably phone the car rental company to confirm their policies on the late fee.

NY
Level Contributor
512 posts
1 review
4. Re: car rental return late fee? anyone ever get away without it?

I would call the rental company directly and ask if they have a grace period. Some used to allow an hour, but I dont know if that practice is still used. If you think you might cut it too close, I would add an extra day on, otherwise you may pay a much higher rate than the rate you originally got.

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
384 posts
23 reviews
25 helpful votes
5. Re: car rental return late fee? anyone ever get away without it?

We're doing the same thing in Sept. Arriving at 9am and leaving at 4:30pm. I checked Alamo and Dollar and you end up paying for a full extra day after a couple of hours. So....bite the bullet and pay the extra,LOL.

It's still worth it to get extra time in LV!!

Sandy

Hotlando, Fl
Level Contributor
9,276 posts
27 reviews
86 helpful votes
6. Re: car rental return late fee? anyone ever get away without it?

I've been charge the hourly rate but not a whole days rate.

7. Re: car rental return late fee? anyone ever get away without it?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:18 am, December 20, 2009