We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Pickpockets??

Edmonton
Level Contributor
29 posts
Save Topic
Pickpockets??

How bad are pickpockets in LV?? I know that with such a high concentration of tourists around there are bound to be some but are there tons of them? When I was Paris you couldn't go anywhere without someone trying to steal from you. Is it the same in LV?

Virginia
Level Contributor
1,441 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Pickpockets??

I'm not going to say it doesnt happen but LV is nothing like Europe.

You might not want to walk down LVB yelling "I hit the slots for $x" but as long as your prudent and be aware of your surroundings you should be ok.

2. Re: Pickpockets??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post either because the author requested it, or because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 8:08 pm, August 30, 2005
United States
Level Contributor
21,579 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Pickpockets??

I believe that a pickpocket's dream would be the revolving door at Bellagio where there seems to be a non-stop flow of humanity.

SAN ANTONIO,TX
Level Contributor
1,221 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Pickpockets??

Be aware of the easy pickup at the bar, they are more dangerous.

Keep your money in a tight front pocket

Jersey
Level Contributor
31,600 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Pickpockets??

You have to be careful near all the "attractions" that create a crowd - Bellagio fountains, what used to be the TI Pirate Show, etc. People are distracted by the "events" and no longer pay attention to what is going on around them. You just have to use common sense. In over 50 trips to LV I have yet to have my pocket picked.

Jersey
Level Contributor
31,600 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Pickpockets??

Oh, and try not to be completely knocked out drunk on the strip- that will make you an easy target.

Las Vegas, NV
11 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Pickpockets??

I recently saw a story on the local news about pickpockets hanging out at the bottom of the escalators leading to and from the walkways above the strip. One person will pretend to trip and fall while getting off the escalator, creating a backup of people, then another person swoops in and picks people's pockets. So beware of this trick.

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas, Washington DC, County Donegal, Western Ireland
Level Contributor
55,613 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Pickpockets??

The best way to combat pickpockets is to not set yourself up to be a victim in the first place. Leave the wallet and the valuables in the room safe or at the hotel front desk safe deposit box.

Males: Just carry a drivers license and a credit card in one pocket, and whatever cash you need at that particular time in another pocket. Nothing in the back pocket, and no big bulging wallet. No need to carry around pictures of the kids, your library card, and 42 business cards with you.

Females: Just take a small handbag with your immediate needs in it. Again, just an ID and/or credit card in a pocket, and leave the valuables elsewhere.